Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to preserve the freshness of there bait during long term storage. Ive been freezing my mackrel in chucks but they dont seem to hold together to well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've always frozen my macks whole, they seem to stay on the hook just as well as anyone elses , if its really not working well use an elastic band, People use them alot further south to keep their clams on the hook although I'd assume it would work for mackeral just the same.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks to preserve the freshness of there bait during long term storage. Ive been freezing my mackrel in chucks but they dont seem to hold together to well.
The best way is to freeze the mackeral whole!

And to keep it fresh for longer periods of time you need to glaze them. To do this, lay your mackeral out individualy on some cardboard in your freezer. Once frozen, take them out and dip them in water to freeze a thin layer of ice on them. Put 3 or 4 layers of glaze on them, and this will keep them nice and fresh!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would freezing the mackrel whole in a bag full of water work the same as the individual layers of "glaze", or is that counter productive.

·
Banned
767 Posts
would freezing the mackrel whole in a bag full of water work the same as the individual layers of "glaze", or is that counter productive.
Hi;

I always froze 'tinker'/'spike' mackeral in plastic ice-cream containers filled with water, lids on. Great if you don't mind waiting for them to thaw out. Milk cartons are said to work well.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know of people putting their baits in mesh bags.In muddy water it does seem to make a difference, except you keep your bait!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as I do this with sausage I make...freeze them in water in ziplocks...gonna have to try a few macks.

·
Banned
613 Posts
The advantage of glazing over freezing in water is the defrost time. Both methods work well, it is just a bit quicker to defrost a glazed mackeral over a mackeral frozen in a block of ice!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I always used a food saver. just seperate before you vacume seal the macks and have had them stay fresh over winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts