Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone fishes at Kearney Lake. If so, when was the last time you've caught trout in the lake? I've caught smallies in the lake over the years but haven't seen any trout since I was quite young.

Thanks,

J

·
Registered
249 Posts
They still stock it so there must be quite a few in both Kearney and Papermill but for whatever reason I find the trout to be very hard to find. I only fished it about 5 or 6 times from shore at various spots but i only ever caught 1 small yearling

·
Registered
33 Posts
Early in the year (april or may) I met a young guy at Kerney Lake (the small area on the right), who caught a 16" trout. He showed it to me, and I couldn't believe my eyes. I used to fish a still water connected to Kerney Lake, but once the bass got in there, the trout disappeared. I heard it was still stocked, but I didn't notice it on the list of stocked lakes in Halifax.

Anyways, I agree with the previous post, they must be in there, but I've only caught a little 8" trout there so far this year.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Early in the year (april or may) I met a young guy at Kerney Lake (the small area on the right), who caught a 16" trout. He showed it to me, and I couldn't believe my eyes. I used to fish a still water connected to Kerney Lake, but once the bass got in there, the trout disappeared. I heard it was still stocked, but I didn't notice it on the list of stocked lakes in Halifax.

Anyways, I agree with the previous post, they must be in there, but I've only caught a little 8" trout there so far this year.
I also didn't see it on the list of stocked lakes over the past few years.

Which area "small area on the right" are you speaking of? There's the area on the right of the K.L. road and then there's the run-off from under the bridge near the wharf. I've seen trout when I used to swim underwater as a kid. yesterday I saw a few small fishes (6" range) chasing my lures. Assumed bass. I've caught bass alongside of the lake near the K.L. road.

Anyone ever try that area left of the bridge? Looks like prime bass country to me. Yesterday I saw a bunch of fish break the water in that outlet from under the bridge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also didn't see it on the list of stocked lakes over the past few years.

Which area "small area on the right" are you speaking of? There's the area on the right of the K.L. road and then there's the run-off from under the bridge near the wharf. I've seen trout when I used to swim underwater as a kid. yesterday I saw a few small fishes (6" range) chasing my lures. Assumed bass. I've caught bass alongside of the lake near the K.L. road.

Anyone ever try that area left of the bridge? Looks like prime bass country to me. Yesterday I saw a bunch of fish break the water in that outlet from under the bridge.
Basically it's on the right if your driving from Halifax toward hamonds plains. It's a small still water that flows out to a large water falls area. I used to fish the falls also, and followed a path in the woods to another still water (that used to be productive). I heard of people catching them under the bridge, but I usually fish in behind that area (a short walk through the woods).

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know exactly where you mean. I tried that spot a few years ago but didn't have any success. Maybe I'll try it again. I think I'll also try that little pond looking area near the corner of the highway and K.L. Road to the left of the road bridge near the beach.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I fish kearney quite a bit as i live in halifax and have caught some decent fish in the last two seasons the biggest was 16 it was wild i think and she was beautiful. after the water warms up i dont know where the trout are but there are lots of little smallmouth about they like wolly buggers.Any one still gettin good trout fishing

thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Curious what part of the lake you fished? If you don't want to say, no harm done. I grew up swimming in that lake.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wondering if anyone fishes at Kearney Lake. If so, when was the last time you've caught trout in the lake? I've caught smallies in the lake over the years but haven't seen any trout since I was quite young.

Thanks,

J
I was over there one day in April for only about an hour and caught two trout and one was 19 inches and 4 pounds. I posted pictures but I they got taken down as I took them once I got home. I wasn't using anything special either, just a silver spinner. Also caught a 13 inch trout which I hit on my first cast. Best of luck to ya!

Bob

·
To do nothing is unacceptable.
2,726 Posts
Hey Gang,

I was just reading through this thread and noticed that "Love2flyfish" mentioned that he thought Kearney was stocked but hadn't seen it on the list.

Kearney Lake is stocked in the Fall. Here is a link to the stocking lists: Hatchery Stocking Lists

If you click on 2011 Fall Stocking List and look under Halifax County, you'll see it listed. As to where the trout go when the water warms (Trout Snout); look for oxygen and cooler water. Here is a link to Maps of lakes in Nova Scotia that have been surveyed: Lake Survey Maps
It appears that they would probably head into the deeper (25m) water or perhaps where the water flows in and out.

Hope it helps.

Tight Lines

Terran

1 - 15 of 15 Posts