Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost bought a farmer john wet suit for the summer but held off in favor of shorts. I do wish I had something to keep the sun off my legs though during the hot months and not get as stuffy as waders or dry pants in the heat. For the spring and fall I've got a pair of Kokatat Tempest dry pants, which so far have been great, my only complaint is keeping the air out of them so they don't balloon up. I was shopping around for a dry top to match with them this week and settled on the Kokatat Reaction jacket. It is a bit lighter than a full dry top and only has latex gaskets on the wrists and not the neck, which I see as a plus because I can't imagine wearing tight latex on my neck for 6+ hours at a time. I wasn't sure if they would make a good seal with the tempest pant but I fitted them together and threw a wading belt in the mix and managed to submerge myself in the salt water for over a minute before I felt a few drops sneak in at the waist. Hopefully that combo will suffice for most cold weather paddling as I think if I'm in the water more than a minute fully submersed a little dribble on my mid-section will be the least of my worries. Has anyone else been using dry or wet suits in their paddling?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Captain, for summer use I use a pair of ordinary lightweight shower proof pants, the sort you'd use for summer hiking incase of a shower. I will be looking at getting a semi-dry suit for fishing in the fall for a liittle bit more warmth

·
Registered
62 Posts
I almost bought a farmer john wet suit for the summer but held off in favor of shorts. I do wish I had something to keep the sun off my legs though during the hot months and not get as stuffy as waders or dry pants in the heat. For the spring and fall I've got a pair of Kokatat Tempest dry pants, which so far have been great, my only complaint is keeping the air out of them so they don't balloon up. I was shopping around for a dry top to match with them this week and settled on the Kokatat Reaction jacket. It is a bit lighter than a full dry top and only has latex gaskets on the wrists and not the neck, which I see as a plus because I can't imagine wearing tight latex on my neck for 6+ hours at a time. I wasn't sure if they would make a good seal with the tempest pant but I fitted them together and threw a wading belt in the mix and managed to submerge myself in the salt water for over a minute before I felt a few drops sneak in at the waist. Hopefully that combo will suffice for most cold weather paddling as I think if I'm in the water more than a minute fully submersed a little dribble on my mid-section will be the least of my worries. Has anyone else been using dry or wet suits in their paddling?
I use a dry suit and will use one whenever in the salt with lower water temps. I use the kokatat supernova dry suit. Its a mean suit. real comfy and super warm. I use the same pants as you mostly and the matching jacket with the same style wrist and neck gaskets. I hate the neck latex. It is so uncomfy. But a guy has to imagine what they are they for. If the rip tide takes you out and flips you and you are floating around awhile a leak of cold water eventually causes your demise. The latex is there to save you more time. I also have ankle cut dry pants for the summer. Extrasport made them. I think they are discontinued. But summertime pants can be a pair of lightweight canadian tire rain pants really. Just to keep your legs from crisping.
What kind of PFD do you use? Thats another comfort thing that can play a role in a good or bad day on the water. I use a Sea02 from kokatat. Its real light weight and nice. after a day of paddling hard and casting your shoulder weight from the pfd plays a role in your pain. A lightweight pfd is key.

·
Registered
749 Posts
good thread!!!
I actually need to get some gear like this.
as of now, i have nothing but shorts, and a tshirt under my pfd (which id like to splurge and get a better one).

I have a hard time finding things to fit me where im short. im too big for kids clothes, too small for your average sized adult (which most gear is based around).

pfd`s for me are hard to get. i have a short torso, so when i sit down, the pfd rides up. its a pita

·
Registered
62 Posts
you would like the one I have for the reason that the shoulders arent at all bulky. Look into a couple of styles. Kokatat Orbit This one is a style with minimum load. Not at all a pocket and fishing oriented one outside the fact that it will be less bulky for casting and paddling all day. If you want one that is more pockets and less shoulder bulk then check this one out The Ronin It is a nice pfd. My bud has one and I tested it during a day trip. Same kind of feel to it as mine. Though mine is a little lighter. Sea02 Its the middle between these two links for light and pockets.
There are a few Extrasport products I have had as well. The osprey, striper and tarpon. All decent. Lots of pockets and they work but they are a bit more bulky. and you would encounter the same probs as what you reffered to ouird

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
you would like the one I have for the reason that the shoulders arent at all bulky. Look into a couple of styles. Kokatat Orbit This one is a style with minimum load. Not at all a pocket and fishing oriented one outside the fact that it will be less bulky for casting and paddling all day. If you want one that is more pockets and less shoulder bulk then check this one out The Ronin It is a nice pfd. My bud has one and I tested it during a day trip. Same kind of feel to it as mine. Though mine is a little lighter. Sea02 Its the middle between these two links for light and pockets.
There are a few Extrasport products I have had as well. The osprey, striper and tarpon. All decent. Lots of pockets and they work but they are a bit more bulky. and you would encounter the same probs as what you reffered to ouird
TTA,

The Sea02 looks like an interesting concept. What are your thoughts about inflatable PFDs (such as the Mustang offerings) in general?

Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
TTA,

The Sea02 looks like an interesting concept. What are your thoughts about inflatable PFDs (such as the Mustang offerings) in general?

Paul
Im not a big guy. I dont paddle alot of real rough conditions. At least conditions where I feel scared or think there is a possibility for submersing. The Sea02 lets me keep it at a level where I can blow enough air in it to float me if I fall over and need some help but also pull the cord to have full on pfd. How often are these things used? How often do you personally get yourself in a bad situation. Not very often for me. So the less floatation and weight on my casting and paddling shoulders while still staying safe the better for me. thats my take.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts