Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
FYI - does not all appear in the Handbook,

"jigging" means fishing by manipulating one or more hooks so as to pierce a fish in any part of its body instead of luring the fish to take the hook or hooks into its mouth; (pêche à la turlutte)

Jigging Restrictions
9. No person shall fish or assist in fishing by jigging in inland waters or assist in landing fish that have been caught by jigging in inland waters.

23. (1) No person shall possess in inland waters or within 15 m of inland waters a jigging device or spear.
(2)
No person shall possess in inland waters or within 15 m of inland waters a snare or bow and arrow unless the person is lawfully hunting or trapping under the laws of a province.

·
Registered
50 Posts
FYI - does not all appear in the Handbook,

"jigging" means fishing by manipulating one or more hooks so as to pierce a fish in any part of its body instead of luring the fish to take the hook or hooks into its mouth; (pêche à la turlutte)

Jigging Restrictions
9. No person shall fish or assist in fishing by jigging in inland waters or assist in landing fish that have been caught by jigging in inland waters.

23. (1) No person shall possess in inland waters or within 15 m of inland waters a jigging device or spear.
(2)
No person shall possess in inland waters or within 15 m of inland waters a snare or bow and arrow unless the person is lawfully hunting or trapping under the laws of a province.
what about natives are the laws the same or do any even exist

·
Registered
137 Posts
FYI - so no you cannot Snorkel in tidal and jig/spear etc...
but yes you can lawfully "Jig" for Non-Sportfish in tidal waters...

Maritime Provincial Regs:
11.2 No person shall angle in tidal waters for any species of fish other than sport fish

(a) with more than five fishing lines; or

(b.) with a fishing line to which more than six hooks are attached.

Atlantic Fishery Reg's
91. (2) No person shall engage in recreational fishing for groundfish by any means other than by hand-line or by angling.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jigging non-sportfish in tidal water (smelt) is okay according to whycocomagh dnr, snorkling and jigging/spearing/fishing is not allowed as it was explained to me regarding any species in tidal or non-tidal waters.

·
Registered
Retired. Absolute beginner.
6 Posts
I'm retired and haven't fished since high school so please excuse my ignorance. I have also wondered about "jigging."
From Googling there appears to be two distinct meanings for "jigging". The most numerous one is using a "jig." A single hook with a lead head and it seems that the intent is to hook a fish by the mouth like any other hook or lure.
The other meaning appears to be the method of catching a fish anywhere other than the mouth which is illegal. Have I got this right? Also listed as illegal is using any "jigging device". And what is considered a "jigging device"?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts