Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me know, if I should try it even if the water will be high, dirty and fast. What technique should I use.

Cheers

41 days to go

yan

·
Registered
433 Posts
Depends on the weather and conditions... I catch some trout nearly everyyear on April 1st in the valley but normally the smaller feeder streams to the Annapolis.... and if u can get the the bank of the cornwalis you can catch fish.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I agree with NSY -
Go to some of the smaller side streams that flow into the Annapolis or the larger streams like the Cornwallis. They'll have fish. I lived near Middleton for a couple of years, always had good luck in some smaller feeder streams, not the main Annapolis, on April1.

·
Registered
48 Posts
One year Apr 1st was one of my best days, they were rising like mad to dry's (Adams), beautiful day and I didnt see that level of activity for another month. Another April we had to break through ice to get into the river (uninsulated waders, not recommended) and I had to stop every second cast to break ice off the rod. We left for coffee after the flies froze into solid blocks of ice.

It's fishing - it's always worth a try

·
Registered
433 Posts
Last year for instance I caught rainbows in Silver, 4 browns in the Cornwalis and a bunch of decent brookies on a Annapolis feeder brook all by mid afternoon on April 1st.... actually had five species caught by April 3rd.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
even if you don't catch anything it is good to get out and swing a line helps with the off season shakes and tremors you have been experiencing lol

·
Banned
585 Posts
Yan, try streamers like the muddler minnow and the mikey fin, fish in tributary brooks of larger water. I bet you'll find a fish or two. If you're not outfitted for flies, try the ol' stand by,....hook, bobber adn a worm in the same locations. Try behind larger rocks in the streams and beside fast current eddies, under cut banks...etc. If your in a natural brook, consider throwing them back in for your next adventure. Then you'll know the fish are there for next time you want to go!

Trav

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yan, try streamers like the muddler minnow and the mikey fin, fish in tributary brooks of larger water. I bet you'll find a fish or two. If you're not outfitted for flies, try the ol' stand by,....hook, bobber adn a worm in the same locations. Try behind larger rocks in the streams and beside fast current eddies, under cut banks...etc. If your in a natural brook, consider throwing them back in for your next adventure. Then you'll know the fish are there for next time you want to go!

Trav
Last year, I have only kept 3 trouts that I have caugth in a u-fish(pourvoirie) in Quebec and I was fishing at least 2 or 3 times a week in different river near my place.

yan

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you're going early in the season, I'd suggest mainly nymphs(stoneflies, or any other nymphs that are found on rocks in the stream) or streamers. Normally there won't be any hatches going on so they normally wont take dries. Do bring some dries in case an early hatch occurs.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Last year, I have only kept 3 trouts that I have caugth in a u-fish(pourvoirie) in Quebec and I was fishing at least 2 or 3 times a week in different river near my place.

yan
right on yan catch today release for tomorrow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts