Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here we go
this form is to discuss winter fishing and the improvements we would like to see
take place in the future

Ive created the different topics to help keep things organized
so we can compile a proposal to be presented at the spring rfac meetings

Overall Changes
this topic is to discuss changes that would all of effect NS

any rfa specific changes should be listed in the appropriate recreational fishing zone

please list the reasons for wanting improvements
and the benefits gained from them in the reasons topic

list all supporting research in the research topic

at some point i will be adding a petition as well

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so its soon gonna be time for the spring meetings
so ill just ask that everyone please post any changes they would like to
see in the approperate section if they are not allready listed

so that i can begin putting together the info to be presented at the meetings

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think more open lakes with an emphasis on white and yellow perch will be an easy sell, also any lakes with chain pickeral, right there opportunities go through the roof. About all we can do with the number of line issue is keep it an issue.

Greg

·
Registered
228 Posts
Kinsac opened for perch shouldnt be to hard to get passed and would be great we get them every year while fishing for picks on the ice...

·
Registered
806 Posts
sheinar , does all suggestions have to be hard water associated?i have 1 for aylesford lake in the valley , but i don't know if i'm in the right posting for it!

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah no real need for more then one line for trout

but i think on pick waters the use of even 3 tip ups each
could completly change ice fishing in this province

·
Registered
158 Posts
Right on. I'm sure you'll get your, as well as all of our points across. My list of lakes, and changes I'd like to see are all in the other ice folders. Good luck.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Should be a minimum of two rods no matter what the species.
maybe but with a limit of two trout how many are going back that wont make it
now fish with bigger limits well....

i rarely deadstick for that reason not to many swallow it with the rod in my hand

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, I would love to use two rods for trout, for those slow days, but there is no doubt that it alot easier to gut hook a fish if you aren`t attending your rod.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
yeah no real need for more then one line for trout

but i think on pick waters the use of even 3 tip ups each
could completly change ice fishing in this province
totally agree if the limit is two no need but as far as pickies the sky is the limit well almost so why not have more lines

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
maybe but with a limit of two trout how many are going back that wont make it
now fish with bigger limits well....

i rarely deadstick for that reason not to many swallow it with the rod in my hand
very good point and I agree I have never deep hooked a fish with rod in hand but I have seen other anglers do it far too often dead sticking but maybe that was their intetion anyway if you know what I mean

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
thanks for taking on this task to improve the winter fishery hope you are successful at getting more stocked lakes open so we have more opportunities esp down the valley way

·
Registered
39 Posts
thanks for taking on this task to improve the winter fishery hope you are successful at getting more stocked lakes open so we have more opportunities esp down the valley way
I agree. Thanks very much for the time and effort you are putting into this Shienar. If we all work together we should be able to greatly improve our provinces hard water fishing.

I have posted my suggestions for RFA 6 into the appropriate section. Hope they help

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Been working for 2 rods for years keeps you from freezing walking back and forth to check them.Futher your allowed 2 trout so does it matter which one you hooked it on.When the kids came out I put only 2 because it was ywo hard taking there fish off and baiting them. Yes thew know how to ice fish.

·
Registered
806 Posts
sorry this one sliped by me what do you have in mind
sorry sheinar, i stopped following after i got no response!no worries. i would have liked to propose a boom across the canal going into the dam during the spawn. i am actually one of the people who always fished for these fish thinking that there was harm being done. there was a nesting survey done on the lake by an aquaintance of mine for a few years. what was found is that , since this area is very shallow, sight fishing is quite easy. the poularity of the spot , simply increases constantly. this is all fine .then a year came with about a 6-8 inch drop in lake level. the succesfull nests plumeted to , if i remember correctly 1.i was amazed by this so much that i have stopped fishing for them. what we believe happened was that the eggs and fry were actually unknowingly ''blown'' off the nests by our trolling motors.now i'm not saying that nest fishing should stop. i love doing it , but only if there is a very low -to no impact on the fishery. there are lots of nests on the lake that are not in water that shallow. so these can be angled for. i just hope that if this were to happen that people would not wade after them. casting from shore would be fine , but the nests should be protected.i truly think that a simple ''boom'' , put across the canal would solve a lot of this problem. plus the canal is only about 25-30 feet wide at the mouth, so it wouldn't be huge at all.the problem is to get permission to do so!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts