Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For musky.

I know that may sound odd, but I just moved to HRM from Ontario (by Georgian bay) where I fished for musky on a regular basis. I grew up musky fishing with my father, and now that I have moved here I wanted to know if there were musky in Nova Scotia. Or if I'm SOL, and needing a new species to fish for.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, if there are musky in one of the many lakes here.

·
457 Posts
only fish in that family here in NS is the Chain Pickerel
big ones run 4 to 5lbs
you might want to look into trying striped bass as a new species
they are about the only species i can think of in NS that your musky gear and tactic could be used for

·
Banned
767 Posts
Thanks for your help, Shienar.

What are some good lakes for the striped bass in HRM?
Hi;

To my knowledge, Grand Lake is the only 'good' striper lake in HRM. BTW, I'm told that there are musky in the St. John river in N.B., if your up for the drive.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi;

To my knowledge, Grand Lake is the only 'good' striper lake in HRM. BTW, I'm told that there are musky in the St. John river in N.B., if your up for the drive.

cheers,

chuck
Chuck,

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out Grand Lake, as well as take the hike up to St. John's river in N.B. to see if I can catch myself some musky! I'll have to let you know if I catch/see anything!

Cheers,
Kate

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
There is a very vibrant, relatively new, musky fishery in the St. John River, New Brunswick. Clark Rayner is one of the most experienced Musky anglers. Google Muskies In New Brunswick for their club website. Regards.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a very vibrant, relatively new, musky fishery in the St. John River, New Brunswick. Clark Rayner is one of the most experienced Musky anglers. Google Muskies In New Brunswick for their club website. Regards.....
That is actually really exciting to hear, I'm looking forward to fishing up there. I'll definitely go check out their site!

Cheers!

·
457 Posts
grand lake i believe has the best population but all the lakes in the shubie system have stripers in them
fletchers and kinsac both have fish of up to 10lbs that i have seen for myself so i would be will to bet thomas williams and charles do too
i even heard they guys at FnF talking about some one getting a 11lber out of rocky lake

·
Registered
136 Posts
mactaquack head pond around the river called Nackawic(above mactaquack dam near fredricton on the saint john river) they can also be caught on the lower saint john river as well. the best times to fish them are in the spring and fall i hear they are not to active during the peak of the summer.u can find out more info on the newbrunswick fishing site as well as http://www.muskiesnb.ca/ the president of the club is Clark Reinor

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Actually, I believe Steve Eldridge is the president. A local lawyer on the executive is Tony Robinson, a very knowledgeable and approachable fisherman. If you give him a call at home 463-4626 I'm sure he would be happy to share some information on the river with you. He has been fishing the St John for at least 25 years. Regards....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts