Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
First off Ryan I'm not sure where campsite 1 is. If in the southern part its Catch and release.

You need a Keji licence - no need of a NS licence. You can have daily licence or a seasons

ticket - You are right about the perch - you might get a brook trout also.

The water is warm and so is the days so best bet is early morning.

Good luck

Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off Ryan I'm not sure where campsite 1 is. If in the southern part its Catch and release.
You need a Keji licence - no need of a NS licence. You can have daily licence or a seasons
ticket - You are right about the perch - you might get a brook trout also.
The water is warm and so is the days so best bet is early morning.
Good luck
Paul
It is more to the north, not in the release zone.
Any tips on what rig/lures to use? I have no idea.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Ryan, the most basic of all baits, no matter what you are fishing, is worm. You simply can never go wrong with that choice. Perch, Trout and Bass are easy to catch on a simple worm, maybe dressed up a bit with a small silver single bladed Lucky Strike spinner that you can get at Canadian Tire or any Home Hardware store. I believe they go for less then two dollars for a pack of two. I would not go any more beyond the simple. Spinner tipped with a worm is all you need.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you're using a spinning rod keep it simple, invest in a couple of original floating Rapalas in natural colors, if fish are there and feeding they will work, add a couple of inline spinners and a super duper and your set.

Good luck

PS fishing shouldn't = stress

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're using a spinning rod keep it simple, invest in a couple of original floating Rapalas in natural colors, if fish are there and feeding they will work, add a couple of inline spinners and a super duper and your set.

Good luck

PS fishing shouldn't = stress
I just have all of this new gear and I really don't know what I should be using and how to set it up. Should I be using the floater or sinkers? should I be using a swivel or not? I can't really go out to buy anything else, all that I have is in the pictures. If someone could just say something like " from top to bottom put on a splitshot sinker, a swivel, then a white artificial grub on the hook by pulling it through like "x"

That would really help me get this whole thing figured out.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Ryan, looking at your links the rods are fine, the rest would better serve you on a smallmouth lake, the grubs will catch perch and if small enough trout, simply feed the hook on the jig through the grub and exit the hook where the wavey tail starts, on the retrieve let it bounce along the bottom. Your other option is, worm on bare hook with a bobber above, how much above you have to experiment with.

Good luck, try different things, have fun

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ryan, looking at your links the rods are fine, the rest would better serve you on a smallmouth lake, the grubs will catch perch and if small enough trout, simply feed the hook on the jig through the grub and exit the hook where the wavey tail starts, on the retrieve let it bounce along the bottom. Your other option is, worm on bare hook with a bobber above, how much above you have to experiment with.

Good luck, try different things, have fun
Is the jig the grub/ fish looking thing with a hook already through it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
From what I can see I would recomend the worm and Bobber Combination. Experiment with depth and the fish will let you know what to do. The jig and grub combination is always a good bet for Bass. Fish it as described above. As well I would take a longer shanked hook and use one of the grubs on it with no lead. IT will be a vary slow presentation but it is effective for bass. Just cast it out, let it sink, vary the sink time depending on water depth, real up slack line and "Twitch" the bait a few time, let ti sink, real up slack, twitch, Repeat. Be ready as bass will often hit a bait as its slowly sinking. There will be no need to use any swivels or snaps on any of the obove mentioned methods.

I will make one other recomendation. The line that usually comesbon those reels is not of the best quality. Its often heavy thick line that coils and tangles and is not very user friendly. More often then not it has been coiled tight on the reel for a few years sitting in a warehouse. It will come off the spool like a slinkey. I would change it out. If you can take it to a shop is usualy cheaper to have them do it off there bulk spools or buy a pack off the shelf. For bass and trout 6-8lb line is more then enough. The smaller line diameter is usually more managable. There is no need to go any bigger then 8 lb test. I prefere SUFFIX mono myself. Low stretch, very supple, great knot strenght, virtually no memory and thin diameter for tensile strength.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.