just wanted to get a jump on this so there will be some good information
available before the ice shows up
so to start this is a ice safety video from
from icefishing today wedsite
ice safety

·
Banned
585 Posts
I don't think that the ice is safe yet here in the South Shore, but I am sure that my better half is thinking it is right around the corner...LOL. Funny thing is we were out in the boat the last couple days talking about the same thing hahaha.

Trav

·
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dunno about the other parts of the province, but there is a local HRM telephone number to tell you when ice is safe to go on.. its 490-3577
ill have to give the number a try
i have used the web before but it was a pain
was fishing penhirn lake with 12in of ice on it
and the website still had it listed as open water

·
Registered
879 Posts
I tried the phone line in years past, and didn't find it accurate to what I knew was out there. we're better off networking among ourselves and that's one area a group will benefit us.

Greg

·
Banned
585 Posts
Be careful fellas, don't go out alone this time of year and carry rope or something that floats or can catch air like a smelt box. Also ice picks are a good idea. Could just save your life! We know what it's like to loose people under the ice down here. Don't want to be discussing the "fisherpeople that didn't get away" at the next Meet and Greet. Not sure but maybe that is coming up soon. Be a shame if we were short handed for the event.

Fish shallow coves and don't venture too far, simply not worth it. The ice will come in time. Down here it is still coming and then going. All it takes is a night of good strong wind and a bit higher temps and it's not safe like it could have been the previous day.

This year has been warmer than most, a trend I assume we will see more of. This means we need to be just that much more patient.

Trav

·
Registered
24 Posts
Last couple of nights have been good but +9-12 tomorrow?? DAMN... anyways, little story, was out on Meadow on the weekend with IceShanty. The ice really wasn't great 4 inchs plus some slob. So the floater coat, rope, everything came with us. And yes us hard water fishermen are a little nutty BUT! We finished up around 12ish and this guy comes down towing his two kids who couldn't be anymore then 4 years old to come for a fish, walked right out and came over to us like nothing. I told him the ice wasn't the greatest and to watch the old holes cause the water was coming out of them and just had a quick freeze. So he turns to his kids and tells them we need to watch out for the bad holes kids!!!!!!! OH MY GOD... I had to walk away. Perhaps it just me but no kid of mine would be ON the ice unless its 6inch++++ and I've fished it 10 times already. My 2 cents in life... THE END
Be careful and thoughtful everyone!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Last couple of nights have been good but +9-12 tomorrow?? DAMN... anyways, little story, was out on Meadow on the weekend with IceShanty. The ice really wasn't great 4 inchs plus some slob. So the floater coat, rope, everything came with us. And yes us hard water fishermen are a little nutty BUT! We finished up around 12ish and this guy comes down towing his two kids who couldn't be anymore then 4 years old to come for a fish, walked right out and came over to us like nothing. I told him the ice wasn't the greatest and to watch the old holes cause the water was coming out of them and just had a quick freeze. So he turns to his kids and tells them we need to watch out for the bad holes kids!!!!!!! OH MY GOD... I had to walk away. Perhaps it just me but no kid of mine would be ON the ice unless its 6inch++++ and I've fished it 10 times already. My 2 cents in life... THE END
All too true, I have ventured out a few times to check the ice on a couple lakes in the area and only found around 3.5 inches that wasn't really doing it for me. I'll still give it a little bit yet, these last few nights have been doing it, and hopefully we don't get too much rain tonight and tomorrow because it looks good for the rest of the week.

Be safe out there guys especially with the young ones

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
we've been taking a rope with us as well had a few comments making fun at us but if they go thru who would hav ethe last laugh

·
Registered
24 Posts
Better be safe then sorry thats for sure. Common sense and always go with your gut, if your gut says no, don't do it and always be ready for the unexpected. Be prepared as you just never know. Be safe everyone and enjoy the season! Cheers

·
Banned
585 Posts
....espically now. Rain + warm = less ice than yesterday. Wait for the cold again fellas. Not worth it. Go play XBOX/PS3 Rapala Pro Fishing or something! LOL I bet the weekend could be better...time will tell.

Trav

·
Registered
749 Posts
....espically now. Rain + warm = less ice than yesterday. Wait for the cold again fellas. Not worth it. Go play XBOX/PS3 Rapala Pro Fishing or something! LOL I bet the weekend could be better...time will tell.

Trav
I love that game!!
if you, or anyone for that matter plays ps3, add me to your buddy list, my screenname there, is the same as here!

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok now i know this sounds familiar but out on penhorn lake today (another productive day) i was fishing alone after a while i decided to move to another hole set my line and gazed across the ice i noticed a few open holes so i grab some brush and head down the ice to mark them 3/4 down the lake there is a huge hole not marked it was easily 12" wide i am 6 feet 200 pounds and it would have swallowed me to my waist people come on there are children and small animals around there and me if i hit that hole in dim light id be pissed and wet and maybe injured or a child could vanish pretty quick Mark Yer Holes its not hard and maybe i should speak to ppl as they walk away from that **** just needed to *****

1 - 20 of 55 Posts