Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well its hard water fishing time again this year... so lets start a list of events, derby\tournaments that could happen this year.

Tournaments (Cash and Prices)

NEW CASA - Fish Lake - Pickerel
Port Morien Wildlife Association - Number 20 Dam - Rainbow Trout
Nova Scotia Smelt Fishing Tournament?? - Conquerall Bank, Lunenburg County - Smelt

Family\Kids Days (Draw Prices and FOOD)

Family Free Weekend - Gillis Lake - Rainbow Trout
Catch the Rainbow (Hants wildlife) Meadow Pond - Rainbow Trout

Excuse if I have a name wrong…

JT

·
Registered
55 Posts
Meadow Pond Exit 5 Windsor is the home for the Everett Wile Memorial Catch the Rainbow ice fishing tournament The tournament is being held SAT. JAN. 22nd 2011 registration time is at 7am finishes at 230 pm This is a confirmed tournament anyone can call me at 902 798 3684 or e-mail me at either [email protected] or [email protected] ask for Mike or fielddog or we fish.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Here is a link for the CASA Ice event on Fish Lake, Sunday February 6th.

BBQ food will be available for purchase and holes can be drilled for those without augers for a fee of $1.

Tournament Poster

Hope to see everyone there,

Eddie

·
Banned
585 Posts
As far as I know, the (Nova Scotia Smelt Fishing Tournament?? - Conquerall Bank, Lunenburg County - Smelt) doesn't happen any more.

Trav

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good stuff... Casa is a nice addition to a limited "tournament\derby" list. Thats what I thought Travis about the smelt... too bad as it was 20+ years. Hopefully there is some ice for the Glace Bay "tournament\derby" this year unlike last years open water.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its too bad the powers to be for Catch the Rainbow changed the rules and prizing structure for this event. I know and understand "its for the kids" but the last 5 years I've only seen so many kids present and they had there own prize structure (1-4?) and seemed pretty happy. Was it changed for the adults then or some other political reasoning? Give all the prizes to the kids but I do believe it should have least have a lunker prize. It was nice to be handed $500 for a day of fishing... and maybe its a little funner for the Adults with a chance as some $$$. To me the change just bumped this "tournament" as they call it, down the list. Perhaps, we should all get together for a poker night... and then when someone has won, we stop and draw for the money at the end of the night. Should be a blast!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The majority of fish caught were all around the same size and weight.The last year of the lunker prize I had peoplefighting over a HALF ONCE.People even accused that the scale was different and I did not like the fact that I was carrying around Over $500 dollars which almost slipped out of it's packet when I slipped on the ice in a strong wind.The club would have to go good for that.We had a prize structure in place for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.everyone has a ticket draw for it everyone has a chance.So if someone wants to catch and release go for it, wantto keep your legal limit go for it.The kids they have a prize structure works for them.The 50 /50 for adults goes over very welland until I am booted out this is the basic format.So blame me because I was the one who changed it, any profits we make goes directly back into the spring program called Learn 2 Fish,which is a program sponsored through the Dept. of Inland Fisheries.This little area of NS does 8 to 10 a year more than any other single district in NS. 240 to 300 kids learn about cold water fish,warrm water fish, go fishing and a BBQ is thrown in to boot.I owe this all to the cooperation of many of the fisher folk on this board,some of which are patrons and sponsors thanks to all of you who support the HWWA or any of the wildlife,fishing,or river groups in the province.Thanks to all for comming out to this or any tournament good luck and success. Mike O'Brien fielddog

·
Registered
24 Posts
fielddog... the power "you" be
thank you for your response and reasoning.

Yes I agree the fish are mostly the same weight like every year. Scales can be pretty finicky in the cold weather that's for sure and unless you have a heated shack to use sometimes are not accurate. With most people having scales I can see this happening... not saying its right or wrong. Sometimes I wonder why length was never used, every ruler is the same, no weather limits... "most" bi$%ching solved. Dave used this method years ago in the pickerel tournament. Worked well IMHO. Glace Bay did scale weight in a shack but then again they had much larger rainbows. Hope they have ice this year.

In terms of the $500 in your pocket, this is more a personal choice for yourself, your responsible for the $$$ so I will understand.

The reason I bring this up is during the last two weeks, talking to people... (Some probably not on this site, and some maybe) are confused about being a tournament where one can "win". How much is the lunker price etc. Until I describe the structure and 50/50... the statement is always "I didn't know that, that's not a tournament".

Perhaps I'm petty but a tournament is a competition, this is not. But like I said at the beginning… I'm ALL in support for a kid's family day and I commend you and your group for a job well done.

I won't beat a dead horse any longer just my 2 cents... this hard-water cat wants MORE tournaments!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts