Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey was wondering if anyone has seen hand augers for sale in hrm I can't seen to find any and I would like to give penhorn a try again.if anyone has seen one please give me a heads up

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just picked one up at Crappy Tire off of beaver bank (exit 2 off the 101) last monday. It was an 8" for 80 bucks. At that time they still had another, identical one as well as a 6" of the same brand for 75 dollars.

I'm new to the sport, but mine works just fine. In retrospect though, I'd go for the 6", unless you plan to take it somewhere where you'll be hauling out giant browns or pike or something. All other things being equal, I think the smaller diamater augers drill easier and faster.

Have fun out there!

-- James

·
Registered
575 Posts
Only place I've seen around that has them is crappy tires. I got mine from the one in spryfield a while ago. The website says they are in stock at the one still, $75 + tax.

·
Registered
11 Posts
they had eskimo brand at wal mart in dartmouth crossing a few weeks back for around 60 bucks i think but i am not 100% sure

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
wouldn't think it would make that much difference but he is right the 6in expends alot less energy

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was to most of the hrm walmarts and they pulled all the ice gear and are putting out new stock for the spring.i will give fishibg fever a try . THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INFO

·
Registered
749 Posts
I was to most of the hrm walmarts and they pulled all the ice gear and are putting out new stock for the spring.i will give fishibg fever a try . THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE INFO
a lot of the time, they'll still have them out back... doesnt hurt to ask one of the reps kicking around.

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
wouldn't think it would make that much difference but he is right the 6in expends alot less energy
A 6-inch auger removes almost 44% less ice than an 8-incher. Put another way, you can drill almost twice as many holes for the same effort.

Paul

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Wish i knew this b4 i got mine lol.
I ended up buying a 5-inch auger after borrowed 8-inchers were tiring me out. The smaller diameter and sharp blades make an incredible difference.

Paul

·
Registered
91 Posts
personally, its not the out of shape part...its the me being short, and having less leverage with the thing lol.
Ill be using this for this year,and next, then looking at a smaller drill.
Try Standing on a bucket? lol

Few guys been modding there augers so they can run a cordless drill on them Its works pretty good If your only cutn few holes.

Hope ya been hookn few fish!

XBONESX

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally goy my auger today now im set for the weekend......now all i need is some fish..ha ha

1 - 15 of 15 Posts