Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if any one can offer any tips on how to fish hoppers, what time of day, year, patterns...ect. I would love to catch a big brown on a hopper.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pretty simple really. Chuck out a chrenoble ant in the appropriate size and color and let it drift drag free over where you may think the bruins are layin. If that doesnt work dry a slow drag that leaves a big v behind the hopper pattern immitating a stonefly if you have those in your area. Another route would be to slightly twitch the hopper indicating a struggling grasshopper. If the waters are open at night where you are that would be your best time for a big brown. Deffinately dragging the hopper to make some noise would be your best bet!.......tight lines

·
1,353 Posts
jcambells advice is good. Chernoval Ant tied same size as a grasshopper and colour of the hopper you are imitating. Other than that a dressed Muddler or a Stimulator. I like a dead drift and any drag puts them down for me. A few seconds after the fly lights down is best chance.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like foam hoppers fished on sunny, windy days near fields. My experience is the hit usually comes right away as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts