Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking buy a honda 2hp but would just like to hear some input on the different models . Does any one know if there is a big difference in the slide throttle vs the twist throttle with centrifical clutch model ? My concern is that with the way the clutch model works i fear that it will not troll slow enough . Any input would be great

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had one...trolled too fast for me....I bought a 4hp yamaha..trolls a little slower......2hp suzuki will be my next purchase...they idle down to a slow crawl from what i hear

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the input , I have heard that from several others that they troll to fast , as for the suzuki are you refering to the 2.5 fourstroke or an older 2 stroke?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was looking at them on google and on youtube seem like a decent motor ,especially the neutral , im sure they are a bit bulky , but so are all the other motors made today

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you tell me the difference? are you refering to short shaft / long shaft for sailboats or is there an actual difference in the motor / slash gearing at the foot of the motor

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks tony , im gonna have to look into the parts as i have a 2006 2hp with the slide throttle , id be interested in coverting to a twist throttle . I find the motor doesnt troll overly well , seems to stall if idle down low but maybe there is just something wrong with it

·
Banned
17 Posts
I have delt with 2 versions of the honda, the older model, probably early 2000's and earlier are water cooled, these have an impellor and are a little heavier and mine has the slide lever, I used mine on a 12 and 14' with no problems trolling. I can see maybe on a smaller 8 or 10'. The newer models are air cooled which is a bonus because you don't have to worry with impellor failure or picking up weeds. They are alittle louder though at speeds but only weigh 27lbs. The benifit of the twist throttle is nice as it frees up a hand, you need both hands to control speed and direction with the slide lever.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks stony , thats the worst part i troll with small boats / canoes .I actually have a mariner 2 that i use alot now as it trolls so slow . The honda is fine on just a tad bit bigger boat , and i really do like 4 stroke over 2 . My next new purchase might be the suzuki too , but i stap a motor on the front of my quad alot and the suzukis have no side to lay the motor or anymore as the shifter is on one side and the tiller is on the other !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts