Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I have just received a homemade trailer, it's not safetied or registered and I am wondering how I go about getting this done.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Close but not quite. You go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles and get a VIN plate. You pay like $2.50 for it. You then affix it to your trailer and have the RCMP go and verify it is on your trailer. Best thing to do is to tell the RMV you made it so there is no issue with a bill of sale. When you get the VIN plate, they will give you a form for the RCMP to fill out. You bring that back and they give you a license plate for the trailer and a title. It is painless but a few steps.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The inspection sticker is good for 2 years. The registration is only good from Dec to Dec (12 months max). Motor vehicle registrations are valid for 2 years from month of registration. Could this be another example of "bureaucratic efficiency" at Access Nova Scotia?. (Even the counter staff I have spoken to scratch their heads and, when asked, say it makes no sense to them). Go figure.

Regards....

·
Registered
641 Posts
Close but not quite. You go to the Registry of Motor Vehicles and get a VIN plate. You pay like $2.50 for it. You then affix it to your trailer and have the RCMP go and verify it is on your trailer. Best thing to do is to tell the RMV you made it so there is no issue with a bill of sale. When you get the VIN plate, they will give you a form for the RCMP to fill out. You bring that back and they give you a license plate for the trailer and a title. It is painless but a few steps.
Good advice there. ^^^

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Yes, 4fitzs, I didn't include the cost of the registration, just the cost of getting the vin. Once you get the VIN certified by the police, you need to get a Certificate of Registration (title) which is around $12.50. Then you can plate it for the $46 and change that Ed mentioned. You have to get it inspected too but that is a fairly simple and cheap process. A lot of steps but you only have to do this once...the VIN I mean. You still need to re-register yearly and inspect it as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So update… I just went thru this and you no longer need to visit the RCMP it’s all done at the DMV…. VIN plate, registration, paper work and plate - $61.60 to make your under 1400 kg trailer legal… now to get it safetied 😆

1 - 9 of 9 Posts