Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi all, Posting from Ghana (West Africa). Just thought I'd drop in to say I managed to go fishing a few times and had interesting trips. I'll post a few photos on the forum to see some of the fish I've caught offshore. Still waiting to land something from the freshwater... hopefully Tilapia.... yum! A few people encouraged me to start a blog so it's now up and running - http://j-in-ghana.blogspot.com/ I've been quite busy so I'm now starting to post a few stories, pics and videos. I'd appreciate the blog and youtube comments as it would encourage me to keep it going.
As far as fishing goes over here it's quite untouched for sportfishing. A few foreigners are fishing offshore occassionally and a few fish inland. I have an opportunity to fish offshore in a week near "Cape Three Points" in western Ghana. It's an area known for large Red Snapper - yum! I'm hoping my schedule will permit me to make the trip. Another trip in the works is one to a town called "Ada". It's located at an estuary and holds a lot of barracuda, yellowfin tuna, etc. I'm hoping to take a friend there and introduce him to sportfishing. So far, I'm managed to infect an old friend and he's loving it already. Can't say I'm missing the -25C weather or ice fishing but there's something nice about having four seasons. Summer everyday isn't all it's cracked up to be. J

·
1,353 Posts
Good to here you landed and are finding some fish. Good luck with your adventures and keep us up to date. Looking forward to pics!

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Nice hearing from you. We've missed your presence in the forums and I was wondering how you were doing. Sounds like you're enjoying the new adventure.

Tight lines,
Paul

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought some Talapia from the grocery store, gonna cook it tomorrow. Hopefully it is yummy lol
Tilapia is a very good eating fish. Just beware that most of the tilapia you'll find in our grocery stores comes from China. Unfortunately China is infamous for using "malachite green" in their fish farms, something deemed cancerous and toxic. You can still find malachite green in local aquarium shops under various trade names as it's used to clear up fish fungus, etc. With such low standards, this is why I avoid eating anything from China.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tilapia is a very good eating fish. Just beware that most of the tilapia you'll find in our grocery stores comes from China. Unfortunately China is infamous for using "malachite green" in their fish farms, something deemed cancerous and toxic. You can still find malachite green in local aquarium shops under various trade names as it's used to clear up fish fungus, etc. With such low standards, this is why I avoid eating anything from China.
Yeah that's the first thing I noticed, was that it's from China. Really made me have second thoughts but I think I'll be safe just eating a pound of this stuff. Will definitely avoid it in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts