Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some reading about the effects of moonrise and moonset times on fishing. There was an interesting fellow named John Alden Knight who did a great deal of research on this a while ago:

http://www.alfredny.biz/sportsmen/solunar-moon-phase-chart.htm

Basically, Knight claims that saltwater fish will bite best around moonrise and moonset, and not depending so much on tides or time of day. I am not sure if this is supposed to hold true for freshwater as well. I also know that this runs contrary to popular wisdom, at least as far as mackerel are concerned. I have always been told to fish the high tide. But how many times have we been skunked when the tide was right and wondered why??? I know it's happened to me plenty.

Today (Sunday) high tide is at 1410 and moonrise is at 1419. I plan on hitting a wharf at about 1330 and wanted to ask if anyone would be interested in reporting back their catches from the hours of say 1330 to 1500, either freshwater or salt water. Maybe there's nothing to it, but look at it this way--you get to go fishing for science! It's a sacrifice, I know.
Just tell your spouses that science needs you this afternoon!

Every scientific experiment needs a hypothesis, so my hypothesis is this: because of high tide and moonrise time, today about 1400-1500 is going to be a very good day for fishing. Maybe I am wrong, maybe I am right. Let's find out!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
great post I was considering going to the warf this afternoon if I do I'll let ya know what happened

·
Registered
879 Posts
My gps has a best time to fish program wich is based on tide and moon phase for today it shows good with best times between 12-2pm and again between 6-8 pm I have found it to be surprisingly accurate on freshwater.

Greg

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The ancient polynesians also had a table for best fishing times which involved the sun & moon. When compared to JA Knight's table, they were found to be remarkably similar. (There isn't really much new under the sun, is there??). Regards....

·
Registered
203 Posts
When freshwater fishing,I would expect a lull in the action at that time of day.
Afternoon,suns high,maybe if there was a good breeze over a flat or some slow plastic fishing.
Went last night 5 till dark but suppose I could this afternoon...seeing as it's for science.
I've never realing paided much attention to my gps,looking at it now it says 7:38-9:38am to 7:58-9:58pm excellent(fish/hunt),good 1:38-3:38am and 1:58-3:58pm.
Ever day you get out it's excellent.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't do too well either... just a few macks. Zum is right about broad daylight, of course. I suggest much more testing for science! That's what I'll tell my wife, anyway.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't know what it was like in the rest of the province but was blowing pretty good here today.
Didn't get on the water till around 2 fished till around 8pm.
Only landed 2 small fish from your 1400-1500 time,so not excellent but not bad either.
Will say this one was a pickerel and they weren't in those waters last year and thats not good at all.
Ended up with 16 smallies and 1 smallmouth.
Normally have good luck with topwater but almost all,except for 2,were landed sub-surface.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Around the time I fished for a whole 15 minutes before my girlfriend made me go swimming.. Was a great day for both lol.. Fishing then swimming then beers by the bbq

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK guys, this could be a great night! (Sunday) Moonrise at 8:30, high tide at 8:45, sunset at 8:51... and it's overcast! I will be hitting a wharf for macks tonight FO SHO. Let us know how you do if you get out tonight for any species at all!

·
Registered
203 Posts
OK guys, this could be a great night! (Sunday) Moonrise at 8:30, high tide at 8:45, sunset at 8:51... and it's overcast! I will be hitting a wharf for macks tonight FO SHO. Let us know how you do if you get out tonight for any species at all!
Very similar conditions on Saturday evening and we didn't hit anything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts