Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:

According to a post that I saw on mayflies (thanks for the wonderful pics Bugman) it looks like mayflies are on big time there. I'm heading out to NS and NB at the end of the month. What type of hatch are we talking then? Is there a hatch chart readily available? Also, things here in Ontario are a little odd with flows and stuff. Do you find that things are a little ahead there?

What kinds of flies should I be tying in anticipation of my trip?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bugman:

Thanks for the response and link. Yeah things are notoriously ahead here. In a lot of cases I've found that fish aren't where they usually are for this time of year. Three weeks eh?! Low flows too!!

Alex

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
bugman:

Thanks for the response and link. Yeah things are notoriously ahead here. In a lot of cases I've found that fish aren't where they usually are for this time of year. Three weeks eh?! Low flows too!!

Alex
Alex,

I just returned from the Waterloo area and the Grand River was certainly very low (and water temps unusually high). Most of the locals were scratching their heads, which made me feel better as I caught chub after chub and only a couple of small browns.

We had a very early spring down here and there wasn't much of a snow pack, so it's been very dry. I was paddling on the Musquodoboit River on the Victoria Day weekend and the water was very low for that time of the year.

Temperatures are moderating a bit here now and if we get a few heavy rains things might return to "normal", whatever that means these days.

Tight lines,
Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL.. I was playing baseball the other night. I could've sworn I saw a massive Brown Drake fly past me. I got a little distracted at that point as a ball whizzed by my head. That could've left a mark.

Alex

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I just gotback from a trip to Ottawa /Western Quebec area and the water is unbelieveably low and quite warm for this time of year. Regards.................

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just wanted to say a big thanks for the hatch chart. That's gonna come in handy. Great post and great site. That's the kind of thing that can save you a couple hours of trial and error out in the field.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alex,

I just returned from the Waterloo area and the Grand River was certainly very low (and water temps unusually high). Most of the locals were scratching their heads, which made me feel better as I caught chub after chub and only a couple of small browns.

We had a very early spring down here and there wasn't much of a snow pack, so it's been very dry. I was paddling on the Musquodoboit River on the Victoria Day weekend and the water was very low for that time of the year.

Temperatures are moderating a bit here now and if we get a few heavy rains things might return to "normal", whatever that means these days.

Tight lines,
Paul
Paul:

Yeah it's been real low here. Guides in the month of April and May were cancelling trips on rivers like the Maitland due to low flows.

Where were you fishing the Grand? Elora... Fergus? Did you give the "Connie" a shot as well? I was there real recently, and got skunked. The stretch that I was fishing was busy and if you didn't have the fly exact... forget it. LOL.. I used everything but Hendrickson Parachute... and it was one big Pepe Le Pew.

I'm hoping that you guys get what we started to get last night. It actually rained and we're supposed to get more. I'll do a "rain dance" for you guys (buyer beware... I dance real poorly).

Alex

·
Registered
57 Posts
Man I was just out in a nice little area in Niagara Falls. I was just checking the hatch chart... are you guys real heavy into caddis like we are here? It was ridiculous...

Alex

BTW... it appears that I didn't thank anyone for the hatch chart. Thanks Bugman.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts