Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I used to catch them when I was a kid with a bobber and worm, usually around muddy bottom and lily pads in small lakes and stillwaters.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I used to catch them when I was a kid with a bobber and worm, usually around muddy bottom and lily pads in small lakes and stillwaters.
I caught one last month,first one since i was a kid . the weird thing was i was on souyh river lake bass fishing a plastic grub in 18-20 feet of water .if your after catfish in warm water you might try fishing deeper with a worm .

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw a few bullheads at grand lake. they were hiding in weedbeds. I tried rapalas and other lures and baits but had no luck. Thanks for the worm tip though

·
457 Posts
worm works best for me
live or dead minnows work as well
same with cut bait mackerel or herring stuff like
you want to fish either on or near bottom
and the closer to dark the better

·
Registered
158 Posts
For the Bullheads, or mud cats or horn pokes I've heard them also called around here. The best way to catch them is with a split shot or slip sinker rig and medium sized hook baited with worms or small minnows, (you don't want tiny hooks for bullheads as they will swallow them every time). They will eat cut minnows , or other cut dead bait as well and just before dark is best.

You need a little patience to fish them because they don't see very well and rely on there smell to find food. Find a spot you you want to fish, usually lakes or areas with muddy or gravely bottoms is good, they will hang around weeds like pads also.

cast out you bait let it sink to bottom, reel in the slack line and place your pole in a holder or on a rock or log, and watch your line for movement, it will usually start going slowly out. Let your bait set for as long as it takes to get bit or give it a good half hour or 45 minutes. If you don't catch anything by then try another spot. Once you catch one though it usually doesn't take long to start catching others.

A lot of lakes around here have lots of little bullhead. but no monsters. I have caught a couple in Ontario a few years back that were almost 2lbs. those were the biggest ones I have saw so they can get quite big and are pretty good to eat too. hope this helps ya out a bit. and it gets you into a few cats....and one more thing. watch out for the horns on the side fins and top dorsal fin.

·
457 Posts
they have three spines one on the dorsal fin and one on each pectoral fin
i usually just grab them from the belly side with my thumb under one pectoral fin
and the other one between my pointer finger and middle finger to keep out of harms way
the spines are not very visible line on a perch or bass but they are very strong
and you really know it if you get jabbed by one

if you really catch one i recommend the river mouth on grand by the launch at the bottom end of the lake
off of kings rd
or kearny lake from the wharf near the beach
i find they like to hang out in around inlets if they are in the body of water your fishing
its always a good bet to try the mouth of any river or streams that are around

also the park on banook lake is a pretty good spot to try for them

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

Surprisingly, I got a bullhead 2 weeks ago on my flyrod. Can't remember what fly I was using. I think it was a leech pattern. That'll probably never happen again!!

cheers,

chuck

·
457 Posts
Hi;

Surprisingly, I got a bullhead 2 weeks ago on my flyrod. Can't remember what fly I was using. I think it was a leech pattern. That'll probably never happen again!!

cheers,

chuck
i hear that i got one in gaspereau lake once on a floating rapala
took it right off the surface

·
Registered
210 Posts
There are a lot of bullheads caught up here in Ontario. Worms or cut bait on a #1 or #1/0 hook below a slip sinker work well. Some guys use stink baits but that is a lot of work. A few guys swear by shrimp. . . they buy up the cheap frozen shrimp rings in the grocery store.

I've also caught them on a fly. The trick is to get your leech or crayfish pattern right on the bottom and swim it slowly. The "barbels" on a bullhead's mouth are very sensitive and can pick up movement.

They can take very gently although occasionally they'll grab and run. Keep the slack out of your line and watch your rod tip. Bullheads can be a lot of fun on light tackle, and unlike bigger catfish, you don't need a ship's hawser to pull them in.

The bullheads in these shots were caught mostly on worms.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No problem skilledfisher.

I don't fish for them myself but have caught lots over the years here in NS fishing for trout or white perch, and when I lived in Ontario you would catch a few while fishing for walleye.

Your right on that one Coachman, lots of cats in Ontario.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You don't need heavy tackle for bullheads. A 2 pound fish is a big one. My spinning rod is spooled with 6 pound Spiderwire and my ultralight is wearing 4 pound.

Keep in mind that bullheads are often found in current so you do want to have the gear to throw a heavy enough weight to keep the bait on the bottom.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i tried mackrel cut into small chunks but something kept bitting it off without taking the hook
that used to happen to me all the time at my childhood fishing whole, and i used to catch tonnes of cat fish there too. so i'd say your on the right track. what i used to do was thread the bait on to the shape of the hook and made sure there was no excess, as they have poor eyesight visual presentation is not very important.just make sure theres nothing for them to pull on but hook.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for the tips everyone i sure will use them when i go out fishing next! I think if i read the regulations right there is no closed season

·
457 Posts
there needs to be a open season in effect for a sport fish on the water your fishing
so your good til the end of the month for any waters with trout
and til the end of next month for any waters with smallmouth bass
and i believe the high harvest and trophy bass fishery lakes are good till the end of dec

1 - 20 of 32 Posts