Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is bass fishing thru the ice possible? Might help to regulate populations. Somehow I think they s l o w right down in winter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sup Kingfish,

Hope you had a awesome year fishn! . Bass season is closed by the time ice comes. We have got few through the ice as by catch and seen some on fish tv's they not very active at all.

XBONESX

·
457 Posts
lot of the states have reduced bag limit fishing for sm and lm bass during the winter
i have caught the odd bass as by catch while ice fishing
and think the we should push to have the highharvest waters opened year round
i would love to try a feed of bass from under the ice

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think they could open high harvest waters, giving us more opportunities, they are targeted elsewhere with success under the right conditions.

Greg

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

I'm kinda surprised to hear that you guys have caught any smb under the ice. I've always been told that they get 'zippermouth' below 4 degrees C. I guess that like all 'fish rules' there are always exceptions.

Still, I wouldn't open a winter fishery just for them.

While I'm at it, I'll just bang my drum one more time [in total futility] against the DFO practice of allowing ice fishing for land-locked smelt. Especially in lakes that NSDF says are closed to ice fishing. DFO says that land-locked smelt are not in danger. They know this because because smelt fishermen tell them that they aren't. They have no science to support this. None whatsoever; but who wants to make fresh water smelt fishermen angry? Even if smelt are the primary forage for land-locks, winter and spring? Rum-pa-pum-pum, on my drum!!

cheers,

chuck

·
457 Posts
Hi;

I'm kinda surprised to hear that you guys have caught any smb under the ice. I've always been told that they get 'zippermouth' below 4 degrees C. I guess that like all 'fish rules' there are always exceptions.

While I'm at it, I'll just bang my drum one more time [in total futility] against the DFO practice of allowing ice fishing for land-locked smelt. Especially in lakes that NSDF says are closed to ice fishing. DFO says that land-locked smelt are not in danger. They know this because because smelt fishermen tell them that they aren't. They have no science to support this. None whatsoever; but who wants to make fresh water smelt fishermen angry? Even if smelt are the primary forage for land-locks, winter and spring? Rum-pa-pum-pum, on my drum!!

cheers,

chuck
did you guys hear something?????

lol sorry chuck just getting a little poke in

maybe someone should bring it up at the spring rfac meetings

ive only ever fished them on grand which lakes have them that are closed to ice fishing???

·
Banned
767 Posts
did you guys hear something?????

lol sorry chuck just getting a little poke in

maybe someone should bring it up at the spring rfac meetings

ive only ever fished them on grand which lakes have them that are closed to ice fishing???
Hi Shienar;

Well, Grand, for one. At least according to NSDF rules. But for some reason, even though they're landlocked, these fish get DFO 'protection', just like sea-run smelt. And DFO protects them the same way they protect salmon, cod, eels, etc. They say they are A-OK, and then somehow get to override NSDF regs, and 'grand-father' landlocked smelt fishing on Grand Lake. NSDF goes along for the ride--see no evil, hear no evil, etc. I think it makes NSDF regs look random, hence ignorable.

Every year I beat my drum. Every year it irritates people. At no time does it do the least bit of good. [long, weary sigh].
Never mind.

cheers,

chuck

·
457 Posts
page 9 of the anglers handbook
Grand Lake, Halifax
County, open January 1 to Sept 30. for smelt
bag limit 24
i haven't been able to find anything about grand being closed to ice fishing

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hi;

cheers,

chuck
well that sonds like dfo has sound research methods .....not

·
Banned
767 Posts
page 9 of the anglers handbook
Grand Lake, Halifax
County, open January 1 to Sept 30. for smelt
bag limit 24
i haven't been able to find anything about grand being closed to ice fishing
Hi Shienar;

Well, that's news to me. I wonder when they made that change? Had to have been after I first raised a stink about it, 6 or 7 years back.

I'll have to check my manual more closely from now on. The last time I looked Grand Lake was not on any list of lakes open for ice fishing, which presumptively meant that it was closed.
But after the e-mails I got from DFO and DNR, [and all the flack I caught about it on this site], I just said the heck with it, and never checked again. My bad.

Guess I won't be banging that drum anymore.

cheers

chuck

·
Registered
203 Posts
A few smallies get caught through the ice ever year when targeting pickerel.
You can "Youtube"it,seeing as your putting your drum up for a bit:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bones et al! I'll be lookin' for the by catch. Maybe get a tent this year and bring the stove for some tea and a pickeral fry up.
I've eaten some nice cold water Northern Pike so I've decided to target this unfortunately ubiquitous species for "off"shore lunches.
Any likely spots on Morris? Caught one big mother there this year....gonna go back for him
Should have a hardwater pick tourney on Morris.
Cheers
King

1 - 12 of 12 Posts