Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering if anyone has done any fishing in the Habitant river in the Canning area. I literally live 200m from the water's edge across from the picnic park in Canning. I have been wondering if it is worth trying as I have not seen a single person fishing along the river, but being close to the bay, I would think there would be some browns and stripers coming up there.
Any help?

·
1,353 Posts
Stripers were fished in the past by a friend of mine below the causeway that keeps the salt water from entering the river. I am searching for a word??? Up river as Eddie has suggested has trout. In Sheffield Mills there is a DU pond on the south tributary and in Sheffield mills and below used to have good fishing. I haven't fished there in years so this info is dated. While bird hunting I have seen trout in the stream so they are there.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi there,
Perry is correct - the stripers do not go above the aboiteau (they can't get through the gate easily) but they are found along the river, particularly on the south side down toward Porter's Point.
These days most people fish stripers down near Kingsport - either by boat at the launch on the old wharf or along the beach just west of there.
There are still brook trout in the Habitant down low (below Sheffield mills) but they are easily affected by run-off and the stream gets very muddy after rains (not a problem right now, but...). I haven't fished much upstream of the DU project in years either, so don't know, but that used to be very good. I've never caught a brown in the river, only brookies.
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hey just wondering if anyone has done any fishing in the Habitant river in the Canning area. I literally live 200m from the water's edge across from the picnic park in Canning. I have been wondering if it is worth trying as I have not seen a single person fishing along the river, but being close to the bay, I would think there would be some browns and stripers coming up there.
Any help?
I live a stones throw fron the Aboiteau. Still some specks in the upper Habitant and we catch stripers in the downstream, nothing real big yet - wife C&C a 26" there last summer ( only woman there amoung a dozen guys who were catchin nothing but eels) . Noooooooo she didn't brag, not at all. If you go to Habitant for stripers theres a little field and tractor path ont eh south side of the river, go thru some bushes and you'll find a foot path to the fishin bank. Maybe see ya there sometime. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,
You have all been very helpful, I have been meaning to get out and explore a bit so with these points I'll hopefully have some luck.
Thanks again and yeah if I can find that path maybe I'll see you out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.