Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
They have been my go to bait for trout for the last 2 years, I don't use jig heads, just a death roll hook and no weight unless needed. They really do work well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use them as well the same way.love em...no swivel on mine personally just straight line with a hook.they also had some on sale at CT recently..the 3 inchers

·
Banned
767 Posts
Gulp minnows and leeches are so much like organic bait that I only fish them with circle hooks to avoid deep hook removal.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
546 Posts
They have been my go to bait for trout for the last 2 years, I don't use jig heads, just a death roll hook and no weight unless needed. They really do work well.
Hey Bullett,

Are you getting the slow death hooks locally I have not looked for them before. Do you use in in conjunction with a slo-death rig?

James

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you are looking for the 4" minnows, the only place in town that I have found to carry them is Fishing Fever. I think I read somewhere that they are moving away from manufacturing the minnows. Why, I don't know. Regards.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what is a death roll hook and the jig heads would give weight to get it out there how do u folks get them out there

·
Registered
78 Posts
jsawler,
your right, I do use swivels when fishing bigger water with them(Cornwallis, West River etc.) but stopped using them in small brooks; it was hard to find a really super small swivel and when I did, unless it was the bearing swivel they didn't rotate smooth enough to make a difference. Small brook I'm only using 4lb main line to 2lb leader and usually just fippin in the current or pulling them fast across the top.

I was getting the hooks local here in the Valley at Wal-mart last season, I think they still have them. As was said above small circle hooks are also really good, hard to find up here.
As far as getting them out there, with new line on my ultra light set up, I can cast them quite a long way, they cast well.

Cheers,
pete

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Gulp minnows and leeches are so much like organic bait that I only fish them with circle hooks to avoid deep hook removal.

cheers,

chuck
how do you rig it with the circle hook thru the nose? in the back? slow or fast retreive? any split shot?have been meaning to try them for awhile what length for trout? bass?

thanks
GF

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
jsawler,
your right, I do use swivels when fishing bigger water with them(Cornwallis, West River etc.) but stopped using them in small brooks; it was hard to find a really super small swivel and when I did, unless it was the bearing swivel they didn't rotate smooth enough to make a difference. Small brook I'm only using 4lb main line to 2lb leader and usually just fippin in the current or pulling them fast across the top.

I was getting the hooks local here in the Valley at Wal-mart last season, I think they still have them. As was said above small circle hooks are also really good, hard to find up here.
As far as getting them out there, with new line on my ultra light set up, I can cast them quite a long way, they cast well.

Cheers,
pete
peter what size hook do you pair with what length of minnow for trout?

thanksGF

·
Registered
78 Posts
Rig them on a slow death size 6 if possible,
by starting at the head and having the hook come out by the tail and with the proper size circle hook, I like t go through the back of a 2,5 inch or smaller.
Girlfisher, It's almost Cornwallis season!!!!
Pete

·
Banned
767 Posts
how do you rig it with the circle hook thru the nose? in the back? slow or fast retreive? any split shot?have been meaning to try them for awhile what length for trout? bass?

thanks
GF
Hi;

Through the nose when fishing like a streamer. When using a float then like a live minnow, near centre using an "O" ring. Bottom fishing with Lindy Rig either through nose or further back [test out where you can see bait] to increase 'spin' or 'roll' on slow retrieve.
Troll with jig hook through nose plus 'stinger' near tail, [or hanging free], or use old-style minnow hooks, the kind with the sharp pointy head.

I don't think size matters much with these baits, but I always say 'big baits for big fish'.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hi;

Through the nose when fishing like a streamer. When using a float then like a live minnow, near centre using an "O" ring. Bottom fishing with Lindy Rig either through nose or further back [test out where you can see bait] to increase 'spin' or 'roll' on slow retrieve.
Troll with jig hook through nose plus 'stinger' near tail, [or hanging free], or use old-style minnow hooks, the kind with the sharp pointy head.

I don't think size matters much with these baits, but I always say 'big baits for big fish'.

cheers,

chuck
thanks for all the technique tips

·
Registered
546 Posts
Rig them on a slow death size 6 if possible,
by starting at the head and having the hook come out by the tail and with the proper size circle hook, I like t go through the back of a 2,5 inch or smaller.
Girlfisher, It's almost Cornwallis season!!!!
Pete
Hi Bullet,

Do you get the slow death hooks locally or send away for them. I have found them online but would like to buy them here if possible. Also do you use the slow death rig?

James

1 - 17 of 17 Posts