Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Grand river is one of my favorite rivers on the island.. its got a fantastic searun of both browns and specks even the odd rainbow... as for salmon there arent very many.. but over the past 5 years ive seen a pretty big increase in the number of salmon showing up every fall, i think if DFO would have a stronger presence on this river to watch for poachers at the fish ladder aswell as stop all the trout fishermen from killing slinks every spring and this river could really turn itself around

·
Registered
36 Posts
There use to be a good run of Salmon there not sure how it is now. From what my father told me (he use to fish there all the time) lots of poaching there in the past..
your absolutely right, ive heard stories of some good runs that used to come in this river... lots of poaching took place in the past though and still does today this river is easy pickings for anyone with a dipnet or gillnet.. ive presonally cut nets on this river and several othrs in richmond county and i know thre are idiots that dipnet salmon/trout/eels and anything else that happens to be in the fish ladder whn they show up

·
Registered
539 Posts
mikmaqfly
You hit the nail on the head Brother...DFO has to step up and start looking after the wild atlantic salmon...unfortunately they seem to have very little interest in doing so!! The salmon Orgs and First Nations have to start putting more pressure on the Feds and preferably as a united front....its really time for the 2 user groups, that have the same interests, come togeather and take DFO to task!!! Just My Opinion, not that it counts for much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
mikmaqfly
You hit the nail on the head Brother...DFO has to step up and start looking after the wild atlantic salmon...unfortunately they seem to have very little interest in doing so!! The salmon Orgs and First Nations have to start putting more pressure on the Feds and preferably as a united front....its really time for the 2 user groups, that have the same interests, come togeather and take DFO to task!!! Just My Opinion, not that it counts for much.
your right about that buddy.. NSFAH and ASF have been working with Unamaki institute of natural resources here in CB for a bit now.. they do a smolt wheel on middle river evry year now and are in the process of finding the funds to do stocking programs on several rivers around the island also trying to get funds to do a fishfriends program in schools on reserves where they raise the salmon from eggs to fry then release them into one of the rivers... i think they needed $7000 or so to cover the cost of that.. i hope some more of the salmon organizations and First nations communities from th mainland will follow there lead and help out with it all

·
Registered
539 Posts
I strongly believe that the First Nations are the key to saving the salmon here in NS, Robbie & I discussed this the other day while fishing....The DFO/Feds have no will or desire, The salmon Orgs, ASF, NSAA have no pull...alot of good people in those groups willing to do alot for salmon but unfortunately they are Old Boys Clubs at the top end and have thier own "special Projects" on the go...Time for change in the NS salmon world and someone should step up and open dialogue with the First Nations and see what can be done ....there was always plenty of salmon (not only in CB) to sustain a Food Fishery for the FN and a C&R recreational fishery and there is no reason that there can't still be with the recent returns...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I strongly believe that the First Nations are the key to saving the salmon here in NS, Robbie & I discussed this the other day while fishing....The DFO/Feds have no will or desire, The salmon Orgs, ASF, NSAA have no pull...alot of good people in those groups willing to do alot for salmon but unfortunately they are Old Boys Clubs at the top end and have thier own "special Projects" on the go...Time for change in the NS salmon world and someone should step up and open dialogue with the First Nations and see what can be done ....there was always plenty of salmon (not only in CB) to sustain a Food Fishery for the FN and a C&R recreational fishery and there is no reason that there can't still be with the recent returns...
i agree with you on that bud.. IMO the Salmon are nothing but a headache for DFO, i think theyd be more then happy to see the fish gone. regaurdless of what evryone might think the First Nations communities here in CB are trying to do there part in helping out the salmon.. there are several studies for salmon on middle river going on that are completely funded by the five FN communities here in CB and at a series of meetings i attended they receently mapped over 70 rivers and streams in CB alone that had salmon at one point in time and nearly 40 rivers and streams that still support runs of fish... both large and small they'll be trying to get samples from fish in most of those areas over the nxt few years

·
Registered
539 Posts
i agree with you on that bud.. IMO the Salmon are nothing but a headache for DFO, i think theyd be more then happy to see the fish gone. regaurdless of what evryone might think the First Nations communities here in CB are trying to do there part in helping out the salmon.. there are several studies for salmon on middle river going on that are completely funded by the five FN communities here in CB and at a series of meetings i attended they receently mapped over 70 rivers and streams in CB alone that had salmon at one point in time and nearly 40 rivers and streams that still support runs of fish... both large and small they'll be trying to get samples from fish in most of those areas over the nxt few years
Its great to hear that news MMFG but sad at the same time that there are 30 river/streams that now don't have fish returning....I certainly wish there was something to be done for all the once glorious rivers here on the Atlantic side of the Mainland..LaHave, Medway, St Mary's..etc..etc

And you are bang on the money about DFO...but really the Fed & Prov govenments in general..not only the salmon either...look at our health care system, Education, roads...all gone to Poop!!

Money is the botton line with Government Depts like DFO and without salmon around there would be more budget $$ to spend on other things within thier dept....don't get me wrong there are folks that work for DFO that care deeply about salmon (I have friends that are employed within) but the higher ups in the Dept look at the bottom line $$$... If there was a way to "relieve" DFO of the responsibility of salmon, like the Quebec ZEC system, I'm sure they would be more than willing to give it over.

·
Registered
36 Posts
it certainly was sad to find out that many rivers/streams no longer have fish but it was a big surprise for everyone involved to see just how many rivrs/streams still have and have had salmon i just hope someething can be done to preserve and improve whats left. Sorry for the hijack of your thread mikmaq-for-fish

·
Registered
149 Posts
The falls are a small waterfall, there is a sign pointing to the trail that goes down tot hem there are salmon ladders there I think your not allowed to fish 23m downstream from a ladder.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think it might be 30m downstream from the ladder there used to be a sign saying how far down you had to be im pretty sure someone took it down though.. lots nice pools along that river they arent thee easiest to get to though

·
Registered
36 Posts
btw if its salmon fishing your looking for there are definitely better rivers to consider, where youll be more likely to hook up.. grand river has a late run of fish i dont usually start seeing salmon in there until september/october and even then they are few and far between your best bet this time of year is checking out margaree or north river.. i think aspy riveer might even have a summer run of fish but im not very familiar with it so i cant be certain

1 - 19 of 19 Posts