Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Didnt think there would be much Ice this season but (and I know its early yet) things seem to be progressing nicely! Im getting pretty excited to get out for some hard water trout and smelts! So excited I made this Meme lol.

Enough of that. So what is everyones plans for when the Ice comes?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Lewis and Round (Tantallon area) for Bows, and Fish Lake for Picks are the spots on my list this year. I might even think about buying an auger and some tip-up's...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got any tips on ice fishing for picks? Im thinking of heading out to black lake or west branch this winter sometime. Is there a lot of hopping holes to find where they are?, some areas better than others? and what baits produce?

·
Registered
245 Posts
For me I have had the best luck over weed beds in 5-10 fow using glow spoons, my buddy had great luck last year using a jig head and a mister twister tail .cheers

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you fish the same hole all day or do you move once things start clacking off?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Everybody has their go-to bait for pickerel, probably because there's a whole lot of different baits that will work. Spoons, plastic grubs, bucktails, all will work. But the best thing you can do is drill a lot of holes and move often. If you were fishing in the summer and the fish weren't biting, you'd cast to the side or move your boat. No different in winter, it just takes a little more work. And once you have a few holes drilled, don't be afraid to go back to the holes you were using previously to see if anything has moved in.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We don't stay at one hole! Some days we will drill 60 + holes ,one of us will cut holes in a zig zag pattern and the other will walk behind Checking for fish with a sonar.Some days the frist few holes will produce others we cut a lot ice before we find them ..and I find with pickerel you only land 1 or 2 in a hole before they spook.

·
Streamside ProStaff
546 Posts
If you are fishing in an area with no structure or weed beds then create your own... especially if you are drilling a pile of holes.. drill a few over the desired depth of water and then lower down some plastic ivy strands that you can get at the dollor store or something like that... even pine bows will work if they are long and fairly sparce. When you come back to these areas you will find that fish will have moved in to both check out the new structure and to hide. Leave the artificial structure there and keep coming back to it throughout the day.. you will find new fish each time. Just make sure you drill a hole to fish out of, don't fish in the same hole that you have the artificial structure nor do you want to remove it so you can fish because it would defeat the purpose that you are trying to achieve. for pickerel there are so many baits that work well from bottled minnows, to gulp baits, to rapala ice jigs, to smelt or gaspereau chunks. Basically you fire something down the hole and most times they are going to hit it if they are there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts