Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
613 Posts
FYI, for those anglers intending to fish sharks this season, the DFO has changed the conditions of the permit/licence to include the "MANDATORY" reporting of all sharks caught and released. If you do not report your catches, then they can deny the renewal of the licence for the following years.

·
Banned
585 Posts
I wanna play with sharks too...lol. Maybe this year I will splurge and try to get out there. I have a pretty keen sence to do so.

·
Banned
585 Posts
If a person wanted to go out and do any DIY recreational shark fishing, is that even possible? I heard in the past the license is like $11 dollars, and do it on a DIY basis.

·
Banned
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If a person wanted to go out and do any DIY recreational shark fishing, is that even possible? I heard in the past the license is like $11 dollars, and do it on a DIY basis.
A recreational shark license is $10 plus tax, and it is a catch and release fishery ONLY.

For more info, and to get a licence contact the DFO and the numbers below:

Recreational Fishing - Maritimes Region
176 Portland Street, 1st Floor
P.O. Box 1035
Dartmouth, NS
B2Y 4T3

Tel.: (902) 426-9966 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Fax: (902) 426-5010

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also interested in sharks, but never been out to try, only what I see on TV! Any advice from those who do it? I have access to the water, however I wouldn't go hundreds of miles off shore in my boat. I've heard some guys say they caught sharks not too far off shore from their boats. Just wondering what anyone might recommend if you wanted to give it a go, what kind of gear, chumming, etc. Also what might be most economical starting out to make sure you don't spend $1000's and have no luck at all! Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have only gone once myslef by charter years ago before it was a catch and release only,Advise for diy people...make sure you have good knowledge about this sport as not harm the fish or yourself.I can tell you from personal experience without the proper knowledge you may find yourself in a sticky situation.on that note ...good luck fishing them.

·
Registered
296 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm also interested in sharks, but never been out to try, only what I see on TV! Any advice from those who do it? I have access to the water, however I wouldn't go hundreds of miles off shore in my boat. I've heard some guys say they caught sharks not too far off shore from their boats. Just wondering what anyone might recommend if you wanted to give it a go, what kind of gear, chumming, etc. Also what might be most economical starting out to make sure you don't spend $1000's and have no luck at all! Thanks!
A big shark can really test your rod and reel. The expense of suitable gear is not trivial. It might be good to take a charter trip before you invest, just in case you feel "once is enough" for shark fishing.

Best of luck,
J. B.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A big shark can really test your rod and reel. The expense of suitable gear is not trivial. It might be good to take a charter trip before you invest, just in case you feel "once is enough" for shark fishing.

Best of luck,
J. B.
Have you ever tried fihing for dogfish (sand sharks). We catch a lot in the Bay of Fundy in the summer months. They can put a good fight on a Striper rig. They usally run two to three feet in length. We us mackeral but any live bait will work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Have you ever tried fihing for dogfish (sand sharks). We catch a lot in the Bay of Fundy in the summer months. They can put a good fight on a Striper rig. They usally run two to three feet in length. We us mackeral but any live bait will work.
Hi Graham,

No I have not fished for them in N.S. It is a great suggestion. I did go fishing in the UK for Tope (a shark something like our dogfish) where they are considered sport fish; so, why not target dogfish too? I imagine a 3 foot dogfish would be quite fun. How much would you guess a 3 footer would weigh? Do you know if they get much bigger?

Many thanks for the suggestion,
J. B.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Guys from this site used blueshark charters..seems to ahve a good reputation...
Spent a day with Blue Shark Charters a couple of years back. We got skunked that day but it was a great experience all the same and well worth the expense and time. Even got to meet Dave that day!

·
Registered
87 Posts
BTW,, Hiltz just got out of the "NS" for his escapades,LOL. Rich, looking forward to new video this Summer,man!! Really wish I could make it down that way soon! Look on YouTube for his other vids as well, folks!!

PS I'll second,3rd, whatever for Art & Blue Shark Charters. Class act all the way. Knows his sh*%!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
don't know if anyone has seen the documentary Sharkwater, it is a must see and show how imperative it is for the protection of the species. It's worth the watch and will give you a whole new respect for sharks!

http://www.sharkwater.com/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts