Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how they work and if anyone makes their own they seem more affordable than knotless tapered leaders which after sitting all winter are better used as a slinkey any input is appreciated

thanks mat

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have never used them before either.I am going to give them a try this year coming up.Here is a link to no how to build one with out a jig

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was wondering how they work and if anyone makes their own they seem more affordable than knotless tapered leaders which after sitting all winter are better used as a slinkey any input is appreciated

thanks mat
I use them for most of my fishing. I got interested when I read about them here: http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/henk/index.html
Then recently someone showed me another link, here: http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/185
They are quite cheap to make. They straighten very nicely when you cast them. You can make them as strong or as light as you wish.
If you use fly tying thread, Uni, they will start to sink after a while which is not so bad if you're using streamers or wet flies.
You can also make them out of nylon, just buy a 300 yrd spool from Canadian Tire, for instance Stren.
I think they are very versatile.
Tom.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi there,
Interesting links you gave us there. You know, in over 50 years of fly fishing, I have used all kinds of manufactured tapered leaders, and I regularly make my own leaders, by using a tying formula. (you can see one here)
The furled bit seems interesting, but when tying your own from mono pieces is so simple, I don't know that it would be worth the fuss ?
Maybe this is one of those "old habits die hard" deals, and it could have something to do with the fact I've got a bunch of tapered dealies to use up, but I think I'll stick with building my own tapered, knotted leaders, me thinks.
Interesting to see, though, thanks for sharing,
Bill

·
1,353 Posts
I felt the same way as Bill until a midsummers evening fishing last year with a friend Tim who makes and uses furled leaders out of Fireline (I think). As we geared up I found my rod case had two tips and no third section so I borrowed one of his rods with a furled leader. I believe that even in a small stream long accurate casts are necessary for summer browns.
I was surprized how well the leader turned over and dropped a dry fly like dandlion duff! I am sold and will be useing them this year in some situations. My only problem is I do not like the loop to loop connection but it worked on his rod!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've used them in the past, both silk and mono but honestly, can't find any real advantage. The high quality tapered leaders from Airflo, Rio, SA, or Orvis all have little memory and are available in species specific types. (Ie; trout leaders are more plyable or limp than say, the bass counterpart.) I still make my big game leaders but have settled on and am happy with the products available.

Cheers,
Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts