Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just got word I'll be moving from Vancouver Island to the Greenwood area this summer and my first thought was "oh NO, where am I going to go fishing??" LOL. I've been fly fishing for about 4 years here on the Island and I've been tying my own flies for about the same amount of time with great success. Most of my fishing has been wading through the rivers located near my house, but my friends and I have done a couple of "extended" trips further north in my tent trailer. It's quite a sight to see a black bear walk through your campsite while you're cooking breakfast, lol.

I've been through your great website and it's really helped to start the adjustment of what to tie before I arrive. While I've been spoiled out here with the variety of fishing I've done, I'm looking forward to catching my first brown sometime next fall (if they're open at that time of year).

If there's anyone in the Kingston/Greenwood area who's looking for a fishing buddy, or willing to take me out to some local flows, let me know. I'm usually up for anything, anywhere, as long as it doesn't take anything bigger than a 6wt (although an 8wt is in my future).

I look forward to contributing to the site and helping out where I can.

Cheers,
Sean.

·
Registered
806 Posts
moving to the greenwood area gives you a very diversified fishery to choose from.stripers , shad , trout , smallmouth , etc....

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Welcome to the site you'll have plenty to go after actuaaly a pretty good central location you're moving to. But you'll only have til Sept to target your brown, but they are typically more active than most trout in the warmer water and the Cornwallis river isn't far also there is a lake stocked near there for browns Waterloo I think it is called. Are you in the military? transfer?

cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the info you've given me so far. I figure I'll have about two months to net my first brown. I grew up in Ontario fishing for bass & walleye as a kid but I've never taken a bass on a fly rod; it should be interesting.

Girlfisher, yes I'm in the Military. I've spent the last 13 years on Vancouver Island so I've definitely been spoiled; both with the quality of fishing and not having to move a lot.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Coming to the other shore for some East Coast hospitality eh?? lol. I have a feeling you'll like it here in our neck of the woods. We don't have quite the variety you are used to, but great fishing here none the less. I was born and raised here for 18 years, spent my late teens early early 20's in ontario, and moved back a few years ago. I do miss fishing walleye, and Ice fishing 4 months a year for all the various species but, I do love Nova Scotia however, that is why I came back in the first place. Like other places across this great country we call home, Nova Scotia too has it's own uniqueness you can't get anywhere else, and that's probably why I love it so much.

Good luck with your hunt for browns, and don't hesitate to try the shad run if you are around for that, it's a blast. Smallmouth on the fly is good times as well. Don't overlook our brook trout fishing either especially the sea runs they can make for an exciting day on the water. I think you'll have no problem finding some place to wet a line. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My parents and brother live out west (Nanaimo and Vancouver respectively) so I have the good fortune of enjoying the BC fishery once in a while. I actually find NS has MORE variety to offer than BC. What they have that we lack is a true world class Salmon fishery. But for variety, I prefer NS.

1) Don't pass up the Shad run, they are as much fun on the fly rod as Pinks.
2) Smallies ARE a blast on the fly. Especially poppers and other noisy surface flies. A 4lb smallie on a 5 or 6 weight fly rod is truly challenging to land.
3) Brook trout are THE best looking fish you will ever bring to hand (opinion!)
4) Striped bass are outstanding fighters and you always have the chance when fishing them that a monster will try to spool you.
5) Brown trout are cagey and smart, great fighters, and beautiful looking fish as well
6) Mackerel fishing is extremely fun with multiple hooks. 3-6 mackerel on the line at once is fairly common and the fight is like landing a lunker!
7) You will find a lot of people here hate them, but Chain Pickerel are a riot through the ice. I also enjoy catching them with my 6 wt fly rod. They will absolutely smash muddlers and other baitfish imitations. They also taste good and you can eat them to your hearts content and the fishery will continue to thrive (to the chagrin of many!)
8) Ice fishing for Smelt is chaos when they are biting and extremely tasty table fare.
9) Blue Shark fishing looks like tons of fun, I can't wait to try this.
10) The host of Fishing with Friends recently went out on a charter boat for Bluefin Tuna. The charter is run out of Antigonish. This fishery has so much potential if we can fight the Sushi business off. I hope this charter business is successful and sticks around: http://zappacharters.com/home.php
11) Cape Breton has excellent Rainbow trout rivers.

12) Last but never least: it may be a lot harder to hook into one than a Chinook, but pound for pound I would put our Atlantic Salmon up against a Chinook any day.

·
Registered
806 Posts
welcome!! I am in Berwick (20 mins from GWood) and can show u some spots this spring. Send me a pm.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again, thanks for all your help and the offers to show me a few spots to start.

Carl, thank you for the run down of what I can expect. My flyboxes are fully stocked for rainbows/cutties so I'll assume they will also suffice for brooks/browns unless told otherwise (muddlers, 20 or so different types of nymphs and the standard dries as well). Cutties are also cagey and smart and I really like a challenge

I'm here this week for some training but heading into Halifax this weekend to spend some time and $ in Fishing Fever. Been in there a few times but just to grab something quick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts