Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hobbies is genealogy and I just discovered that Billy on this forum and I are distant cousins. How cool is that?! And we both love fishing... even better.

J

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats quite interesting, through what resources do you reaserch such things?
Billy mentonned that he lives in the Sambro area and I know that most of the famiiles out there are related. I looked for his name in my database and there he was, along with his brother and parents. Billy's like a 6th cousin or something so it's distant. Do you remember what I said it was Billy?

J

·
Registered
575 Posts
Billy mentonned that he lives in the Sambro area and I know that most of the famiiles out there are related. I looked for his name in my database and there he was, along with his brother and parents. Billy's like a 6th cousin or something so it's distant. Do you remember what I said it was Billy?

J
6th cousin once removed lol, although that "once removed" is so redundant.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jurme,

In terms of resources, genealogy has blown up and become so huge recently that you can find a ton of information in hours. There are some sites that you can pay to have access to their databases, i.e., census info, passenger lists, etc. I find it more rewarding to do the grunt work, connect the dots and actually hook up with others researching similar families. I was able to have Billy in my database as I met another distant cousin who was working on the same family. We exchanged notes and database files and voila!

If you want to get started in genealogy, family history or just putting together a family tree then send me a message and I'll help you on your way.

One interesting piece of information about both my and Billy's family is that one of our common ancestors was Governor Edward Cornwallis' first administrator/clerk for the City of Halifax. After much research, I found the ship record for that ancestor landing in Halifax in 1749. For a history buff and family historian like myself, pieces of information like that make the hobby so very interesting.

J

·
Registered
575 Posts
jurme,

In terms of resources, genealogy has blown up and become so huge recently that you can find a ton of information in hours. There are some sites that you can pay to have access to their databases, i.e., census info, passenger lists, etc. I find it more rewarding to do the grunt work, connect the dots and actually hook up with others researching similar families. I was able to have Billy in my database as I met another distant cousin who was working on the same family. We exchanged notes and database files and voila!

If you want to get started in genealogy, family history or just putting together a family tree then send me a message and I'll help you on your way.

One interesting piece of information about both my and Billy's family is that one of our common ancestors was Governor Edward Cornwallis' first administrator/clerk for the City of Halifax. After much research, I found the ship record for that ancestor landing in Halifax in 1749. For a history buff and family historian like myself, pieces of information like that make the hobby so very interesting.

J
That's really cool lol, what would his name be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts