Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking bout getting some new line this year right now i have a 5wt weight forward on my 5 wt rod its a cortland lazer line i liked regular 444 double taper before the lazer just wondering what other folks are using and if they are happy with what they have also looking for suggestions on different types of flyline thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use to use the 444, but found they changed when they started the classic series and don't like it anymore. I use Rio lines now, I have a windcutter and love it, I just bought a clouser for fishing pike. My windcutter needs to be replaced, so I'm going to replace it with an outbound. I heard a lot of good things about it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I use to use the 444, but found they changed when they started the classic series and don't like it anymore. I use Rio lines now, I have a windcutter and love it, I just bought a clouser for fishing pike. My windcutter needs to be replaced, so I'm going to replace it with an outbound. I heard a lot of good things about it.
I use a rio gold and like it alot. Hows do u like the clouser line. Looking for a big fly fly line myself.

·
1,353 Posts
I really dont know what I like anymore! There are so many lines now to chose from that one cannot try them all or even a small percentage. I have gone back to the 444 classic for no other reason that it works and I am familiar with it. I have others but this works for what I am doing. I have been tempted to get an Airflow Ridgeline but then there is the Rio which I have used and like. I guess it would be easier to ask what lines dont you like and why.
Jcampbell, I trim 3-4 ft off a wf line on heavy striper flies and on a line out of the box (444) 2-3ft off out of habit. Works for me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use a rio gold and like it alot. Hows do u like the clouser line. Looking for a big fly fly line myself.
I haven't been able to try it, the season where I'm at in Alberta for pike doesn't open until the May long weekend and there's still a couple feet of ice on the lakes. If you're still looking then I'll let you know how it performs. I was looking for a line to cast large weighted flies like clousers and bunny leeches on a 2/0 hook, after doing a lot of reading I descided to go with a clouser line insted of a pike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My rule of thumb is that I use DT on 5 wt and smaller. Right now my 5WT has a Rio Multi-tip 5WF line on it mostly because I like the versatility of a Multi-Tip line but they usually only come as a WF. If I was to use a F line, I would switch up to a DT. My 4's and 3W rods are all DT. The main reason is that I rarely need to chuck a ton of line on an overhead cast. Why fish beyond 70-80 feet when trout fishing, it is hard to feel and set the hook. Also I use Roll and Single Handed Spey casts in tight quarters which is mostly what I am finding when I am trout fishing with a 5W or less rod. A DT will Roll and Spey cast much better than a WF.

As for types of line, I agree with Perry. 444 is a great line and it is very economical for those who are getting started. You can spend 2x more on a nice Rio, Airflow, Carine line but you are more than likely not going to have to cast far anyway.

Short, precise, soft, well presented casts go a long way in catching a fish.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would agree with the above, if your only going to be casting 30'-40' than you would be better off with a DT. I went with a windcutter because I fish lakes mostly and one lake in particular the fish were 60'+ in the summer hanging around the springs and no boats were allowed in the lake.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm looking right now at a new fly line and it's tough to choose. Used to the 444 but may try a Rio or the Ridgeline this year.

decisions, decisions......

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ducknuts-
Just to confuse you more, I use Scientific Anglers lines, and most recently Orvis lines as well. I find the SA ones (Pro series) to be equivalent to a 444, with the SA Mastery being higher end. Orvis' Wonderline is alo excellent, but pricier.
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was looking at the new SA Mastery Textured GPX as well.......so many choices but I am leaning toward the ridge line. I have used SA quite a bit over the past few years and had no issues with it but I feel a need to change...lol.
Looking to get a new setup for this year, so I think I see a new Sage TCX in my near future....lol. It's always fun times to pick up new gear!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't like the ridge and textured lines. The idea is that there is less contact with the guide eyes so you can shoot more line. The issue is that the groves and texture capture dirt. If distance is what you want, clean your line and looks for rods with bigger guide eyes. On some of my custom rods, I specifically have put on larger eyes. A clean line will add distance. Yes Armour All works.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was thinking that with the textured but never heard that complaint with the airflo.

What line do you use? Not to worried about great distance, as that has never really been an issue. Just looking for something new, I like to change it up every now and then.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Part of the design of Ridge Line was also to shed dirt when the line flexes. I've had no problems with mine at all. I have 2 Ridge Lines- 6 & 9 wt's, and am a 100% convert from SA GPX lines. I found the GPX's coating to be just not right. For the 1st month, it was great. I used the line cleaning pads as prescribed by one of SA's demo casters I knew, whole show. Once I got the Ridge, there was no looking back!! They even have a Supple line for fishing colder water. Hope it helps out, Jamie

·
Registered
195 Posts
Short term, yes it does. Long term, no it doesn't - and it harms your line.

Bill
x2 a great way to ruin a line. Clean with a line cleaner and occationaly a mild soap and water. Armor all will break down the line and dry it out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Keep in mind that most modern lines only need to be cleaned, dressing lines is a thing of the past and will actually cause them to pick up dirt faster.

Most lines now on the market work well, even the cheap ones. And it is the law of diminishing returns, you will pay a lot of extra $$ for an extra 10' of distance.

With that said I like the Airflo lines over the others I have used.

·
Registered
66 Posts
x2 a great way to ruin a line. Clean with a line cleaner and occationaly a mild soap and water. Armor all will break down the line and dry it out.
Sorry boys, I have to disagree. I have used it for years (some of my lines are over 10 years old and fished hard). Have used it for years on my student rigs which are seriously abused and never had an issue. I have yet to seen a line break down from it. The dash of my car is still fine. Make sure you are not getting a reaction from bug juice. I have seen a lot of lines destroyed from that especially at the 40-50 foot mark. My rule, I never use bug juice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
People spend hundreds of dollars on a fly rod and reel and then cheap out on the fly line. Remember, it is the fly line that makes the rod work, not the other way around. You can always fish without a rod but you can't fish without a line/ leader/ fly. I am not saying you have to spend the bank on a line. However you have to weigh out the performance you want to the amount of money you are going to spend. Going back to the subject at hand. In the case of a 5WT rod, casting over 100' into the wind is not a normal application of this rod so even a low end line will work. The more important issue is to match up the grain weight to the rod. I prefer to up Wt my line to the rod. In tight waters, it helps load up the rod with minimal effort and some cases you want to reduce your effort or result of your effort to avoid spooking a fish. I save the big $ on fly lines for 8wt and above or Spey Rods.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts