Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I have seen a few folks with a very tiny swivel type thing that goes on the end of a fly line to attach the fly to. I guess it saves tying a fly each time and shortening the leader. I'm not exactly sure what its called, and I'm new to fly fishing this year so I'm not sure if it even is practical to use. I would like to have a couple to try, but can't find them anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've seen them. CTC carries them. Not sure what they're called. I've never used them, as I'm not sure if I trust them.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think I know what you mean, it's not really a swivel, and I can't describe it, I picked them up at can tire in the fly section but I use them on the ice, they work well with cold hands. They're packed away right now, I'll get them out later and tell you what the packaging says

Greg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi folks,

I have seen a few folks with a very tiny swivel type thing that goes on the end of a fly line to attach the fly to. I guess it saves tying a fly each time and shortening the leader. I'm not exactly sure what its called, and I'm new to fly fishing this year so I'm not sure if it even is practical to use. I would like to have a couple to try, but can't find them anywhere. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
they are called roller swivels

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hnatiuk's has some. The manufacturing company Compac calls them Fas Snaps. I just picked some up yesterday to try myself. I doubt I'll ever use them for salmon or stripers but they seen to be tough enough for trout.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi folks,

Thanks.
They are called fas snaps, walmart and crappy tire have them, ok for smaller fish.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i picked some up about a week ago at walmart, tried them for a short time the other night, i havent decided if i like them yet. They are much easier for changing flies, but not sure what the fish think of them...

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I thought that fas-snaps would be the cat's pyjamas when I bought them but, as it turns out, cat's don't like pyjamas. The fas-snaps in the smallest sizes are almost as awkward to use as tying on a fly and they add too much weight to dry flies. Also, I suspect that the fish don't like them as much for whatever reason.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts