Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang:

I did a similar post on the NB site. But I was wondering about fly selection for saltwater opps. I was thinking of trying for some saltwater fish (most of which I may not be able to identify) and I'm clueless when it comes to fly selection and what species you guys have that I can target in saltwater. I know.. real naive borderline ignorant question/statement. I was thinking of maybe mackerel and the like. Last year I watched guys in NYC catch bluefish... that would be fun on a fly.

If I were going to try some saltwater action what kinds of flies are we talking? Streamer patterns based on white and charcoal to imitate forage? What saltwater fish could I get there on the fly rod?

Thanks,

Alex

·
1,353 Posts
Alex, there are all kinds of species in the salt but the most popular is stripers, mackeral and blues when they are available and in NS blues are not always available. The flies are imitating baitfish and will post some favs from my box later as I am going out the door. You need saltwater hooks for sure and I have been useing tube flies with success as I can tie a large fly with little weight eliminating the hard hat I used to wear. I am sure others can chime in and I got an interesting fly from member troutin last nite. It's a lot of fun and saltwater species can test your tackle and your arms! lol
I will add that if you can get a current copy of "Canadian Flyfisher" I wrote an article on fly fishing stripers and that may be of a small help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perry:

That's awesome. Thanks a bunch for your help... it's really appreciated. Ironically, I was just saying to my wife that I need to have a gander at CFF to see if there was anything insightful regarding the trip. Tube flies are great eh?!

Alex

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Alex,

I have never tied or fished a tube fly, but I had an opportunity this past Saturday to watch Neil Houlding's fly tying demonstration of the Pro Tubefly system. The system is pretty slick, but I suspect that you can accomplish similar results using other materials.

Anyway, after looking at a few of the flies, I have convinced myself that I need to give them a try. Perry mentioned how light they are and the other advantage I could see is that the fish won't be able to use the shank of a long hook as a lever to release itself.

The related website is:

Pro Tubefly

Tight lines,
Paul

·
1,353 Posts
I find tubes great. I got started last fall by Peter Janes and he was a great help as was Danny Ripley and Rob Heal. I used them this spring on the Miramichi for spring salmon and they worked great. I landed a numer of big salmon and couldn't be more pleased. Since then I have used them for smallies, browns and stripers and I am sold. The advantages are numerous. Small hooks at the rear of the fly so when you hook up the fly rides up the tippet so is not messed up in the mouth of the fish. If the hook gets dull or damaged, just change the hook and the fly is as good as new. Paul is right. The small hook is hard for the fish to shake out. Never lost a fish this spring after hooking.
As in all things a downside. Small flies are still too big for me. They come into their own on streamers and large flies. I tied a Grease fly as big as a Gaspereaux on a tube and the damn thing casted pretty good. If I tied on a normal hood I would be slinging a shark hook!! lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah guys. I absolutely agree.

I watched Olli from Eumer at the Toronto Fishing Show and I was immediately sold on them. That Arctic Fox hair swims real well. Not to mention with the different weights you can really customize the flies. I used them in the Niagara River this winter and although I had no luck (way too much ice and slush to get a proper swing). I've been meaning to get the kit but I just keep putting it off. Olli said small flies can be done with it but I don't see it. I absolutely agree that they're perfect for streamers. I remember Neil telling to me a while back thathe was on the "Pro" field staff.

Alex

·
Registered
806 Posts
Great time Perry. After seeing the tubes (in the water) I am convinced. Will be tying them up soon enough!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts