Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's builders on here, I am wondering if it's possible to upgrade a handle and reel seat, I have a low cost Martin that it turns out I like the way it handles, very similar to my new Sage, how's that for a slice of life. But I don't like the foam handle.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Martin do make nice rods, I loved the stonefly I had and it handled just like a high end rod. I've never seen one with a foam handle, it must be an older model. It can definitly be done. The foam Grip is nothing to get off, the reel seat may take a bit of work with some heat. An alcohol lamp works good for this. I heard of guys using a hair dryer or it can be cut off if it's one of those cheaper plastic ones.

·
1,353 Posts
I take the guides off and remove the foam handle. WB' suggestion about heat is good and as he suggesed not to much heat. Put your new reel seat on building up the blank in two places with masking tape to fit the reel seat. Ream the new handle out to slide over the blank down the blank. I use a tapered reamer but a rat tail file works.I use epoxy to glue the handle. Replace the stripper guides and you are good to go. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies and tips, you confirmed what I thought. I think I'll look into some parts and set it aside for a winter project.
Woolybugger, it's not an older rod, I got it at CTC last year as an outfit the reels not much to praise, but I like the rod it's an 8' 3pc real compact when it's broken down.

Cheers
Greg.

·
1,353 Posts
I dont know who learned the most on that trip!! We arrived at the river and we geared up. I assembled my Loomis rod and I had two tips and no second section so... Tim geared me up with a 9 ft Sage six wt. The line was a Ridgeline with a furled leader. This was one sweet set-up. The Ridgeline casted as straight as a arrow and the leader turned over and dropped the Stimulator just like a dandelion fluff. This was at a fair distance and tight accurated casts at small targets. I have ordered a couple Ridgelines and will be talking to bugman about furled leaders. An eye opener for me!
Bugman, got a flyrod for a ten year old you want to part with? 8 for a 5/6?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been hearing a lot about the Ridge Line, think I will have to break down and buy one for the spring. Have any of you tried the 40+ with ridge line for the running line.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 9wt Ridgeline Distance on my Sage 9wt, excellent line. I have a 6wt which i still have to buy a rod for,LOL.

Bugman does an excellent job on his rods, just sweet. That switch looks just right,shall we see you with it up this way in the Fall, sir?? Maybe on the P ???

·
1,353 Posts
Ah, the man is too modest! Ck out the latest issue of Canadian Flyfisher!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Tim, I think I will give it a try. I'm buying it for my 10' 7wt, I am using a Rio Windcutter on it now. It will be mostly used for casting large pike flies out here in Alberta, so I think it will work, LOL. I use my smaller rods for trout and grayling.

·
1,353 Posts
Luke it is a nice rod. It is fast and casts a big fly a mile. It seems very light and short 7ft 11 ins for what it does but I find the fly travels close to my head! Overall I like it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Bug, Jack is a wizard. I was out with him Apl 16th, just amazing.

Anyone know where I could get a used rod turner or instructions to make one with a rotisserie motor?
looks like I may make a 4wt over the winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts