Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Good question. Some flies are actually also called lures depending on how they are fished.

But if I take your meaning, I'd guess a fly would become a lure when it becomes too heavy to cast with a fly rod.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i would have to agree with coachman on this one, even though im not much of a fly fisherman

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good question. Some flies are actually also called lures depending on how they are fished.

But if I take your meaning, I'd guess a fly would become a lure when it becomes too heavy to cast with a fly rod.
I have pike flies that weight more than most of my lures.

It would depend on your definition of a lure and a flies, LOL. A lot of streamers can be called lures, even though they don't have the action of a lure you would cast with your spinning rod. Then there are flies that are tied with spinners, grub tails and some that are tied to look and move like lures. This is a topic than can go on and on.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have pike flies that weight more than most of my lures.

It would depend on your definition of a lure and a flies, LOL. A lot of streamers can be called lures, even though they don't have the action of a lure you would cast with your spinning rod. Then there are flies that are tied with spinners, grub tails and some that are tied to look and move like lures. This is a topic than can go on and on.
True true! And I have flies that I can cast with my 10 weight that wouldn't budge with a 5 weight. I think maybe we could simply say that a fly IS a lure, intended for use with a fly rod. But then there are flies that as you said have spinners etcetera that are best used with spinning gear.

No easy answer I guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a question of semantics. They are all lures by definitions; regardless of it being a 18 Adams or a brass tube wrapped in lead. Is there any difference between that 18 Adams and a Zarra Spool or a jitter Bug?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Perhaps the difference is the amount of time a "fly" spends in trees vs. water. Perhaps a 25% ratio? Anything spending 75% or more of fishing time in the water is a lure

·
1,353 Posts
If you spend time down south you will be asked "whats ya useing for bait?" It applies to everything you use from a live minnow to a fly. I use salt water flies and there isn't a natural part to the fly. I quess if I can cast it with a fly rod it is a fly! Or a bait or a lure. The only worry is where fishing is restricted to a fly.

·
Banned
767 Posts
If you spend time down south you will be asked "whats ya useing for bait?" It applies to everything you use from a live minnow to a fly. I use salt water flies and there isn't a natural part to the fly. I quess if I can cast it with a fly rod it is a fly! Or a bait or a lure. The only worry is where fishing is restricted to a fly.
Hi;

There again, in 'fly fishing only' zones, a fly is not a fly if it is constructed of the wrong materials, eg., metal parts [excluding the hook proper]. I wonder if there are places where a fly is not a fly unless the hook is dressed only in natural feathers, so as to resemble a natural bug of some kind ?!?

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Add into perspective the Dupree Spoonfly, which is very successful for redfish(red drum) in the Sounthern US. Esentially a spoon small enough to be cast with a flyrod, it's also featured in a recent issue of FlyTyer as how to make your own epoxy spoon flies with silly putty.As fro the brass & aluminum bottle tubes, they're meant to be cast with a flyrod, not a spinning/casting rod. Legal in some areas,some not. To each their own, but watch that you're obeying the law of the land wherever you fish!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Cpt Dupree's flies are what I was thinking of in my post. I spent some time talking to jim a about his spoon flies, I was thinking about trying them out here for some pike and walleye but never did. I may give them a try this year. He has some different ones now than when I first met him on the internet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts