Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I am going shopping for tackle tomorrow, and I am looking for some advice on what to buy for flounder fishing. I just got back from out west, and haven't gone flounder fishing for at least 8 years.

I seem to remember a lot of bait being stolen from my hooks when I used to fish them at Eastern Passage. All I had at the time were Mackerel rigs, and the occasional medium size standard single hooks, which I would bait when there was no mackerel action.

The flounder were not all that big at the passage, and I got the impression that my hooks were far too large, and the flounder were simply ripping the bait off.

Should I go with some tiny hooks ( I was thinking even those little round gold colored hooks, roe hooks?), or is there some other method that works better?

Thanks for any and all help!

Mike

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm interested in this as well, I've been out many times this year for flounder with little luck at all. I think I may also be using jig heads and hooks that are just too large. I've only tried using soft plastics so far but maybe the lack of live bait is my problem as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For Flounder I just use a size 4 or 2 hook on a flowing trace of about 3 feet long.
You can put some beads on the line and flashing blades to attract the fish as they are quite ferocious little predators.
As for bait clams work or sand worms. If you buy your clams ask the guy on the counter to sort you the smaller ones as they are better to hook and you get more for your money.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hi There,

I got lucky and caught a nice sized flounder whilst fishing for Striped Bass out of Noel last week. Believe it or not I caught it on a size 7 hook with a chunk of mackerel on the end. I think it was luck though, it felt like I has some minor hits prior and it was probably just him and his buddies chewing up the fish before he took the hook. Bait wise though, mackerel seems to work.

James

·
Registered
228 Posts
I find smaller hooks with a relatively long shanks work best, so I usually use Aberdeen hooks, size 4 or 6. They like the color yellow, so throw in some yellowish beads or painted sinker on your terminal tackle. If you are fishing from a boat or a dock, chum pots can be used very effectively.

This video is great:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone ever use night crawlers for flounder? i've found with a bit of chum you can't keep em off your hook.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi

I used squit strips and a very small hook,
I try it first this year at the east coast from Nova Scotia with big long hook and i have no luck, the Flunder bites a little and spits out or put my squit from the hook!
This Problem have you at many places where people catch flounder!
They are smart and bites carefully!

When I have a small hook, I catch in 1 hour 8 with big size and 6 small, the small I have release.
I put the stripes arround the hook and let only the Top free!

Thats it

rene from Germany

1 - 7 of 7 Posts