Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Grey Ghost, Muddler Minnow, Stonefly nymphs, Quill Gordon nymphs and dries, Mickey Finns, Wooly Buggers.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi tmac and All
Olive is a great colour in Keji in spring. Seems it works because of the water color.
I use olive seal buggers mostly but do keep a few black ones around. Some have bead or cone heads - others are tied on ball tubes or just plain.
Tube muddlers in Olive are great for the fast runs when tied on copper tubes. They usually take the biggest fish.
A friend of mine uses only Olive Matukas and has good luck. He has fished Keji for years and if he carries any other fly he doesn't show it!
I am going to try a few seal buggers tied with a matuka wing on the chance they might work. I never take many others - a few Klinks should there be a hatch and a few noname tubes size 16 or 18 if they are midging.
Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, what size nymphs? I dont have much experience with these, do many use strike indicators??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Although some dont like to I prefer using strike indicators. I find myself losing less fish and catching more off takes. As for size I usually use 14 to 12. It took me some time to be persuaded by nymph fishing but i really enjoy it now. Ive never fished keji so not sure what luck youll have there, be sure to let us know...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I grew up in Ontario and strike indicators seem to be more popular there, I havent seen too many people use them here in NS, not sure why though...?

·
1,353 Posts
I fished the Tobiatic last spring and I had the best luck with a duplicate box as mushamush uses! I am going back and will use the same!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Any suggestions for good flies to take to keji in April and/or May?
All you have to do is match whatever flies are there. If there's a hatch, look at the flies flying to shore and match that fly with an artificial. If there is no hatch, pick up a few rocks of the bottom from the riffles and match the nymphs, larvas and pupas with an artificial.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Any one interested in giving up a tying recipe for the olive Matukas? Checked them out on line, there's lots of variations, just looking for a little direction. Never tried them before but I like the looks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i've had good luck (not necessarily in Keji, but in the vicinity) with very basic soft-hackle patterns of varying body colour, eg. pumpkin, olive, claret, etc. i should mention that these tended to work better in late april and may than right off the hop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts