Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to try fishing for landlocks this spring, however I have never done it and I was hoping some of you might be able to suggest some patterns to tie up. Any suggestions as to how to fish the flies would be greatly appreciated as well - I have a pontoon boat and a canoe, I'm assuming it is best to troll for them?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I find a faster troll is best for landlocks. Near river mouths. 2 and 4 Grey Ghosts, Magog Smelts, Colonal Bates and any other Carrie Stevens Pattern.

·
Registered
806 Posts
i've got a tying book that mentions a fair bit on doing exactly this in main. the one that they raved about the most was the miss sharon. itwas originated in main by arthur libby.

''in the begginning of the season the fly can be slightly more full, but as the season progresses , it should becomeincreasingly sparse.one of the theories advocated is that the salmon can't see quite as well in the early season because of the roily water and a slight ocular deficiency from poor feeding under the ice all winter. as the season progresses , and feeding is more available, the eyesight is restored, the water clears, and the salmon becomes more selective, an interesting theory.
they go to the extreme effort of counting each and every strand of bucktail that goes into making up the mixed wing of the Miss Sharn.''

this is what it says in the book;which brings me to say:the content of this program are the thoughts and theories of the author , and not of the poster . viewing discresion is advised!lol.
have fun and good luck with it!

they also mention for land locks :the nine three,ballou special,cardinelle,and the bingham special.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated! I googled those suggested patterns that I didn't already know - which was most of them - and it looks like most of the common dressings of these flies use tandem hooks. Excuse my ignorance - are these legal in most Nova Scotia lakes? I had a quick look at the 2010 regs online and it appears that flies are legal as long as there are not more than 2 hooks on them and as long as there aren't more than 3 hooks on a line. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Thanks gentlemen, much appreciated! I googled those suggested patterns that I didn't already know - which was most of them - and it looks like most of the common dressings of these flies use tandem hooks. Excuse my ignorance - are these legal in most Nova Scotia lakes? I had a quick look at the 2010 regs online and it appears that flies are legal as long as there are not more than 2 hooks on them and as long as there aren't more than 3 hooks on a line. Does that sound about right?
sorry when it comes to government interpretation , i need not guess!imo, in my own interpretation that depends upon the C.O. involved!
good luck with that!
later , jonathan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adding this post in case anyone else is trolling around for info on landlocks like I am.... Popped in to Fishing Fever for some materials yesterday after work and plied the guys there for a bit more info about technique. Apparently 46 degrees is the "turn on" temp for eliciting bites out of landlocks. Anything less and fishing is pretty much futile as I understand it - so bring a thermometer if you have one. In terms of technique, trolling in a zigzag pattern close to shore and close to river mouths (as was already mentioned) is a good way to go. Also anchoring in 30 or so feet off shore and casting back in is an effective technique. Larry also mentioned that the good ol' size 10 Mickey Finn caught him a lot of Landlocks over the years, so in addition to Robbie and Jonathan's smelty streamer suggestions, and as always, don't leave home without em'!

·
Banned
767 Posts
Adding this post in case anyone else is trolling around for info on landlocks like I am.... Popped in to Fishing Fever for some materials yesterday after work and plied the guys there for a bit more info about technique. Apparently 46 degrees is the "turn on" temp for eliciting bites out of landlocks. Anything less and fishing is pretty much futile as I understand it - so bring a thermometer if you have one. In terms of technique, trolling in a zigzag pattern close to shore and close to river mouths (as was already mentioned) is a good way to go. Also anchoring in 30 or so feet off shore and casting back in is an effective technique. Larry also mentioned that the good ol' size 10 Mickey Finn caught him a lot of Landlocks over the years, so in addition to Robbie and Jonathan's smelty streamer suggestions, and as always, don't leave home without em'!
Hi;

The one thing about landlocks that others avoided mentioning is that the worse the weather, the better the bite. Cold, windy, rainy, in short, utterly miserable days are best for lands.

I don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but on such days use dark streamers, bright streamers if the the sun shines, and if trolling keep your fly in the prop wash [about 30 odd ft back] and do a lot of turning to speed up and slow down the fly. That's all I remember since I got tired of catching pneumonia over ten years ago.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
124 Posts
I find a faster troll is best for landlocks. Near river mouths. 2 and 4 Grey Ghosts, Magog Smelts, Colonal Bates and any other Carrie Stevens Pattern.
I always thought to be landlocke salmon there was no way in or out . Landlock Salmon at thr mouth of a river ?????. I don't believer they would be landlocked ...Is there somethig I'm missing ????

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
I always thought to be landlocke salmon there was no way in or out . Landlock Salmon at thr mouth of a river ?????. I don't believer they would be landlocked ...Is there somethig I'm missing ????
The river(s) could be connecting other landlocked bodies of water, with ultimately no access to the ocean.

Paul

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

Even if they have access to the ocean landlocks do not go there. Their genetic programming is somehow different from the ocean-going salmon. But the river mouths spoken about above are often rivers coming from upstream of the landlocks holding area, and that is, of course, the opposite direction of the sea. The landlocks have the smelt cornered in such 'bottleneck' areas as stream inflows and outflows. Look also at straits and other bottlenecks.

cheers,

chuck

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Even if they have access to the ocean landlocks do not go there. Their genetic programming is somehow different from the ocean-going salmon.
Thanks for clarifying that. I often wondered how there could be landlocks in Kinsac and Charles.

Paul

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. I often wondered how there could be landlocks in Kinsac and Charles.

Paul
Hi Paul,

I have been told that there are Landlocks in Both Kinsac and Tucker, however I have no proof of that. I have never specifically targeted them in these areas, only perch, pickerel and bass. If ever I get one, I will let you know.

James

·
Levity Consultant
1,787 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have been told that there are Landlocks in Both Kinsac and Tucker, however I have no proof of that. I have never specifically targeted them in these areas, only perch, pickerel and bass. If ever I get one, I will let you know.

James
I appreciate that. I didn't phrase my comment very well, though. I know there are landlocks in both Kinsac and Charles, I just didn't know how they were landlocked when they had access to the BOF. Chuck explained it for me (i.e., landlocked by genetics, rather than geography).

Paul

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all of your advice. I'm well stocked on single hook streamers, but after troubling everyone for the tandem info, I thought I should tie a few up - just in case. Here's a couple of experiments loosely based on the Miss Sharon and the Blue Smelt...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts