Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just new to tying flies, I have been doing allot of dry flies for the month of June. However I am counting the days until the season starts. Can anyone advise what would be the 5 or so most popular flies for brook trout for the month of April (rivers and brooks) so I can start tying without having to invest a bundle in different materials. There is allot of information out there, but now I am just getting confused,any help would be great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
some of my favourite spring flies are muddler, mickey finns, any smelt pattern , woolybuggers, grey ghost and zug bugs. just remember fish them slow, i find this to be key in the spring!

·
Registered
158 Posts
You be me to it tyz lol. I have been tying up a few flies for spring lately as well.

Any type of smelt or streamer patterns in general like mickey finns are a good bet. I have been tying some smelt pattern streamers, as well as some smelt muddlers and marabou muddlers lately.

I have been been experimenting with some shrimp patterns also.

Figured I'd get an early start on some sea run patterns.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I like too use everything tyler said, except maybe the zug bug.heard of it but never tried it.
only thing I'd add is a picket pinn.and I almost always use a beadhead on my muddlers and
woolybuggers.throw it up in the run and let it bounce down right into the feeding lane.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Picket Pin, easy to tye and it works. I also use a Dk. Montreal. These are my 2 favorite wet flies for lakes. A #16 black stimulator and a #12 stimulator in dk brown for the early stone hatches. Don't forget about may, you'd want some black quills, the first big mayfly hatch of the season.

·
Registered
35 Posts
great minds must think alike guys...i forgot about the picket pinn forsure a must have for any season fly fishing!

·
Registered
523 Posts
My favourite 5 early flies (early April) - very close to the lists above:
1. Muddler Minnow - anywhere
2. Gray Ghost - lakes
3. Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear - small streams and brooks
4. Mickey Finn - any dis-colored water
5. Dark Montreal - especially in lakes near shore

Bill

·
Registered
173 Posts
yes! drk montreal is a must have.
some other favs are:
light edson tiger
professor
black gohst
I could go on and on, but nymphs and streamers r the way to go.
and I am the biggest fan of beadheads.
OH! almost forgot the "bowriver bugger"
received one in a fly swap years ago.(on this site)
awlays keep a couple in my box now.

well that should keep you busy tying fred.

and you can find recipes for all the flies mentioned on line.
kilroys is a good site for patterns.altho they dont always have pics
to accompany the recipe.I find the pics help if you have'nt seen
the fly before

·
Registered
214 Posts
All of the above flies are great. Personally, if I had to choose one type of fly for the early season, it would be nymphs. My personal favorites are the gold ribbed hares ear and the pheasant tail flashback(both can be tied with a gold bead-head). These two can represent almost any nymph that will be found in NS. Also, streamers fished not too fast will work well aswell before the major hatches. You will want to keep some dries ready incase an early hatch starts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My top dog flies for spring are as follows........Rolled muddler sz 6-8- mickey f sz 4-8. Parabelle streamer(red n white micky f) sz 4-8. Tiny zoo cougers sz 4-8.... natural colored rabbit strip zonkers weighted with beeds or dumbell eyes (dark grey,white , tan) sz 4-8. A good ol' leetch is a gooder too!

·
Registered
3 Posts
My top spring flies are:

1) Little Brown Trout
2) Gold Muddler
3) Leeches (a Bugger in black/purple/claret/olive or a black marabou leech)
4) Dark Montreal
5) Bead Head Zug Bug Nymph
6) Olive/Tan Dragon Fly Nymph

I stick to mostly lakes and ponds and their inflows until late may. You can read about more of my fly pics on my blog:

http://www.novascotiaflyfisher.com/Fishing_And_Hunting_Logs.html

-deerfly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts