Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might have a chance to get a 12 ft aluminum boat cheap because it leeks. I have never fixed one before and was interested in some advice. I was planning on trying to re punch the rivets to tighten them were leeks were. Then paint the out side of the boat with paint and a coating of epoxy as a clear coat ( any suggestions on paint type ). The in side of the boat I was going to use that rubber truck bed liner you can paint on. This would sound proof the boat and make it less slippery.

If you know anything about fixing aluminum boats please let me know what might work best? Am I over killing the work I'm doing? Will the paint not expand and contract like the aluminum will? Is there a better way of doing this?

Ps I do not have the welding tools to weld the seams. I might be able to get the boat for around $100 so if welding was not too much might be able to go that route.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey bakerthree,
If you can get it for a $100 I wouldn't even hesitate. Worst case you get good with a bailer. LOL..
In regards to your fixes. By all means replace the rivots and even use a bit of silicone between layers before fastening. I would stay away from the paint for the reasons that you mentioned. There are products on the market that will patch holes in aluminum,although a bit more expensive.If the first trick doesn't do the job (test to find out)a two part epoxy on the inside will work for a few cents per application. You may have to fix more than once. An awesome epoxy can be found at Home Depot. Called Durabond. It is actually for Re-bar to concrete applications but is tough as nails. I also use it to reform keels on fiberglass canoes as well as patch holes.Not sure if available in Canada, but they will have something similar. I would also stay away form bedliner paint in black,unless you want to cook come summer.LOL..

Good luck,Fish on !!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Try to re-buck(punch) the rivets and or replace the bad ones.
I'm not sure where to buy the solid rivets in N.S. though...gotta be somewhere.
3M 5200 is some real sticky and waterproof(tight) stuff...some people use this around leaky rivets.
Like mentioned above,for $100 bucks gets you on the water.Only takes a small trolling motor and deep cycle battery to have a great day.
Here's a site that only deals in aluminum boats,lots of info but you don't have to take it as far as alot of them.
www.tinboats.net

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I am repairing an aluminum canoe and bought a repair kt specifically made for rivets at cabelas online.(US) getting some for my buddy as well for his aluminum boat, last yr he tried silicone and jb weld but it didn't last so going to give this a shot. Has 100 good reviews and maybe 3 bad but I figure maybe this was posted by ppl that didn't follow directions. Omnly 7.99 and suppose to go along way. Plus they have some deals on right now so you could throw some new lures etc in the order the dollar is really good

I would stay away fro epxy it is supper stong but does not flex and around the joints and rivets of the baot prob will so it may crack

just my two cents

good luck
GF

Ps I put the canoe up on saw horses and filled it with water then marked the leaks with a grease pencile used for tires

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tightened a few rivets on my 1958 Simpson sears 14ft'er I bought a hammer head for my pneumatic pistol grip,hold a steal block on the other side cost 20 bucks at NAPA.worked good Get the white bed liner they can color it for you hoping this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For anyone with aluminum boats or looking to buy one, Gluvit is and epoxy sealer and is made for aluminum boats. Do all your seams inside and out and you will not have any issues. Check rivots as mentioned above and replace any loose ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts