Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As an angler from Ontario salt water fishing has me hooked on NS. I did some mackeral fishing last summer in Englishtown,flounder and striped bass near Five Islands and cod in PEI. But watching WFN and numerous fishing shows about shallow shoreline and tidal river fishing, I am wondering if such opportunities occur in NS. Are there shoreline areas that produce fish such as snook, red fish, sea trout, black drum etc., casting from a boat or beach and if so where?

·
Registered
93 Posts
i have just spent the last 2 years in the carolinas and have fished estuaries and shallow flats down there but up north here you wont get any reds, snook, black drum etc. but as far as i know you can catch sea run trout in some areas though.

·
Banned
613 Posts
As an angler from Ontario salt water fishing has me hooked on NS. I did some mackeral fishing last summer in Englishtown,flounder and striped bass near Five Islands and cod in PEI. But watching WFN and numerous fishing shows about shallow shoreline and tidal river fishing, I am wondering if such opportunities occur in NS. Are there shoreline areas that produce fish such as snook, red fish, sea trout, black drum etc., casting from a boat or beach and if so where?
Hey OF,
if you are an avid saltwater angler, then you are going to be "EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED" with the recreational fishing in the saltwater here in NS!!!!! Your saltwater angling opportunities are very limited in the waters of NS. About the only thing you can catch and keep in NS waters are mackerel, sea run brook trout, and a small limit of bottom fish (cod, haddock, pollack, flounder) and the limit is either 5 or 10 depending on what part of the province you are in.

Now, that being said, there is a licensed C&R fishery for sharks, but everything else is OFF LIMITS to recreational angling here in NS. IE: Tuna, Swordfish, Halibut, Shark, Lobster, Crabs, are all restricted to the commercial exploitation of said species!!! So if you like to catch and keep any fish for your own personal use, then you will be very disappointed with Nova Scotia!!!!

I moved back to NS just over 8 years ago now, and as an avid offshore saltwater angler, I have been extremely frustrated with the lack of an offshore sport fishery here in NS. We have a "WORLD CLASS" big game sport fishery in our "OCEAN PLAYGROUND" but we have absolutely NO access the fishery.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi there-
As others have said - you won't find snook, reds and so forth (and the sea-trout you are probably thinking of if watching someone in Florida are a totally different thing then the ones here) here - they are all warmer water fish.
However, there is good tidal water (not deep sea, so I'm not going near what XLobster said...) fishing for striped bass and at times bluefish, and as you discovered mackerel and even some other salt water species like flounder and so forth. The thing is that the coast here is so remarkably varied, it's hard to describe it all at once. With the 50 foot tide range in the Bay of Fundy/Minas Basin comes some spectacular fishing, but you have to know what's going on and be aware to take advantage of it. Similarly, with the thousands of indents and estuaries in SW NS, there are wonderful opportunities, you just have to know how to approach it and to some extent when. Having fished in Florida and the Caribbean, I know what you are envisioning, and while we don;t have that kind of thing here, we have fishing that can be every bit as exciting, you just have to explore a bit and be open to ideas. There are literally hundreds of places one could cast from shore for mackerel around this Province, and I know dozens of places where stripers can be similarly targeted.
It just takes some exploring and some effort.
That and maybe a friend willing to share their knowledge.
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there-
As others have said - you won't find snook, reds and so forth (and the sea-trout you are probably thinking of if watching someone in Florida are a totally different thing then the ones here) here - they are all warmer water fish.
However, there is good tidal water (not deep sea, so I'm not going near what XLobster said...) fishing for striped bass and at times bluefish, and as you discovered mackerel and even some other salt water species like flounder and so forth. The thing is that the coast here is so remarkably varied, it's hard to describe it all at once. With the 50 foot tide range in the Bay of Fundy/Minas Basin comes some spectacular fishing, but you have to know what's going on and be aware to take advantage of it. Similarly, with the thousands of indents and estuaries in SW NS, there are wonderful opportunities, you just have to know how to approach it and to some extent when. Having fished in Florida and the Caribbean, I know what you are envisioning, and while we don;t have that kind of thing here, we have fishing that can be every bit as exciting, you just have to explore a bit and be open to ideas. There are literally hundreds of places one could cast from shore for mackerel around this Province, and I know dozens of places where stripers can be similarly targeted.
It just takes some exploring and some effort.
That and maybe a friend willing to share their knowledge.
Hope that helps,
Bill

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know very little about blue fish aside from what I've read and had very limited experience with any salt water fishing but a lot of experience in freshwater. However I did meet several local angles while visiting NS last summer. Everyone was very friendly in conversation and I received several invitations to go fishing from perfect strangers and I have to say I was impressed. So I hope to return next summer with less priority for sight seeing and more time for fishing.

I didn't expect all the warm water species to be available in NS. I was curious about the type of fishing that was done on the Florida Flats and if similar methods were practised for local species. I was aware of the forbidden species that Xlobsterman spoke of and in fact I signed up on his page petitioning for greater access to the NS sportfishery. I think it is rediculous to allow full access to commercial fishing and none to recreational anglers. I have nothing against commercial fishermen. But some access or at least limited access should be available for recreation anglers and the vast industry that will feed your economy. Commercial fishing is important for the NS economy but so is sportfishing and I think your politicians are very short sighted and behind the times. In the meantime I hope to return by next August and tap in to some of the stripers, flounder, mackeral and sharks. Thanks to all that have replied to my post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts