Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just wondering what everyones preference is? what type of line, what lb test and favorite knots?

The reason I'm asking is I always used mono line then I switched to firewire (wich I loved)this year I switched to florocarbon 8lb test,not a bad line but near impossible to see in the water which isnt a downfall...Only problem I found is if it isn't spooled right you will have issues...so after respooling new line,no issues. I like tying the improved clinch knot as I find it the easiest and fastest tying knot.The polymer knot its easy as well.Anyone use a easier knot?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Trilene Sensation, 6lb test. I was using the Trilene Extra Strength which looks black coming through the water. The Sensation is a lot harder to see

·
Registered
879 Posts
Trilene mono, 8lb on my spinning reels, 10lb on my baitcasters, 4lb on my ultralight.
I tried some braid 2 years ago, I found it casted great when it was new but after a few trips not so much, gave up on it and went back to the above.
I've always used the improved clinch knot, it works well and I don't know what could be easier to tie.

Greg.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trilene mono, 8lb on my spinning reels, 10lb on my baitcasters, 4lb on my ultralight.
I tried some braid 2 years ago, I found it casted great when it was new but after a few trips not so much, gave up on it and went back to the above.
I've always used the improved clinch knot, it works well and I don't know what could be easier to tie.

Greg.
Just got some braided yesterday, wow it does cast amazing, will have to wait it see when it goes awry.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Baitcasters get 30-50# power pro - Palomar knots
Spinning gear gets 20# power pro - with a 8# mono or flouro leader joined with a uni - uni knot

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a huge fan of a double uni knot...mostly cause im half blind, it is a great knot though, just hate tying it.I possibly just need more practice

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd say it's worth practicing, it's the only knot I trust to join lines of different dia or material. One tip I would give is to give yourself a lot of line to work with - don't be shy to use 6"+ on each end until you get the hang of it, and as always, wet the knot well before tightening.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say it's worth practicing, it's the only knot I trust to join lines of different dia or material. One tip I would give is to give yourself a lot of line to work with - don't be shy to use 6"+ on each end until you get the hang of it, and as always, wet the knot well before tightening.
thanks for the tip. I always wet my knots first for insurance. I like a nail knot myself for joining two pieces of line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts