Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best spots to fish kinsac from shore. I've only fished this lake once, and caught a small pickrel. I started at the Fall River Rd. and walked the shore as far as I could without walking into somebodys back yard. I grew up fishing down in Yarmouth county, and miss the big pickrel! We fished the Annis river system down there, and caught huge fish all day. Now I've got a buddy of mine who's never caught a pickrel, and I'd love to get him into some of these brutes I've heard tell of in kinsac.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I grew up fishing this lake mostly from shore and I would suggest walking down the railway tracks on the west side of the lake that runs between the golf course and Kinsac. Once you get to the first point that you can see from the Fall River boat launch, start fishing there and continue walking up the shoreline. If you make it as far as Nelson Pond try in there because there use to be some large bass, but also a lot of debris.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nick. Now I usually stick to either topwater or soft grubs for pickrel. Is there anything that they're very fond of in that lake. The one I caught was on a black 3" grub.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have caught them in that lake with Brkley Leeches, Berkeley Minnows, Soft white plastic slimy spinner thingies, Mepps Fury Hook Series, and just about anything thrown in the water. My lady caught 2 over 20" last week in Kinsac and quite a few under. Not much bass was seen only 3 all afternoon.

James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I think I must be cursed!We fished from around 6:30 till 9:30 last night and never had a bite. Tried everything in my tacklebox, and , nothing. I don't understand, cause it's prime pickrel real estate as far as the eye can see. are there any other lakes in that area that are better for shore fishing? We started by that first point and walked the shoreline up the lake towards ashburn golf course. Found plenty of golf balls, but not a pickrel in site.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you drive back Kinsac rd from Beaverbank rd turn left down station rd you can fish under the train bridge and you can catch one right after another, its where I suggest friends take their kids for an alomost guaranteed catch,you can also wal down the shore to the right(as the bridge is to the left)and there are some good spots along there,I fish there almost daily and have caught some large bass and pickeral. I use zoom worms with the flex in them seem to work great on this side anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks Nick. Now I usually stick to either topwater or soft grubs for pickrel. Is there anything that they're very fond of in that lake. The one I caught was on a black 3" grub.
My favorite topwater lure for both pickrel and smallmouth's is the Heddon Tiny Torpedo, Fluorescent Green Crawdad. It's a small noisy lure with an orange belly, which is great for drawing fish in. Also, fish tend to hit it hard and often multiple times. Usually I fish the lure in a slow continuous retrieve and only pause the lure once or twice per cast. I've used this method over rock points along vegetation and even in 20+ feet of water with success.

http://www.lurenet.com/productdetail.aspx?id=x0360bb

·
Registered
328 Posts
My favorite topwater lure for both pickrel and smallmouth's is the Heddon Tiny Torpedo, Fluorescent Green Crawdad. It's a small noisy lure with an orange belly, which is great for drawing fish in. Also, fish tend to hit it hard and often multiple times. Usually I fish the lure in a slow continuous retrieve and only pause the lure once or twice per cast. I've used this method over rock points along vegetation and even in 20+ feet of water with success.

http://www.lurenet.com/productdetail.aspx?id=x0360bb
The tiny torpedo is one of my favorite go to lures as well my favorite colors are baby bass, gold black back and the blue back silver one. There isn't a day on the water that i don't use one, even when its choppy they seem to work.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well, I think I must be cursed!We fished from around 6:30 till 9:30 last night and never had a bite. Tried everything in my tacklebox, and , nothing. I don't understand, cause it's prime pickrel real estate as far as the eye can see. are there any other lakes in that area that are better for shore fishing? We started by that first point and walked the shoreline up the lake towards ashburn golf course. Found plenty of golf balls, but not a pickrel in site.
I have fished in Kinsac a couple times this year and have never caught anything - I tried down the far end of Piggot ave (think that's the name) but didnt even get a bite. Was using a floating minnow and some 7" power bait worms.

If you wanna try another lake in the are you could try 2nd lake - Ive never caught any pickerel in there but have caught lots of bass. If you wear a pair of shorts and old sneekers there is alot of shore that can be fished there. Also One of my faves is powdermill lake (also out in that area) - again I only caught bass there but my friend pulled a massive pickeral out of there.

Happy fishing

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

I haven't been there for years, but if you go down to Kinsac from Beaverbank, park, and walk the tracks along to your right, you will shortly find a small 'pond' cut off from the main lake by the tracks, with a connecting pipe. Only fished it twice, years back, but caught good fish out of the weeds. Can't really vouch for it, but it might be worth a try.

chuck

·
Registered
319 Posts
Chuck Fluff wrote...if you go down to Kinsac from Beaverbank, park, and walk the tracks along to your right....

Nick wrote...walking down the railway tracks on the west side of the lake that runs between the golf course and Kinsac....

Scott wrote...drive back Kinsac rd from Beaverbank rd turn left down station rd....

Having never been there, is there safe, adequate parking at these locations?

·
Banned
767 Posts
Chuck Fluff wrote...if you go down to Kinsac from Beaverbank, park, and walk the tracks along to your right....

Nick wrote...walking down the railway tracks on the west side of the lake that runs between the golf course and Kinsac....

Scott wrote...drive back Kinsac rd from Beaverbank rd turn left down station rd....

Having never been there, is there safe, adequate parking at these locations?
Hi;

Alas, not much. But there is room for 2 or three cars, in different spots. I've never had trouble finding a spot, mostly because no-one else was fishing there at the time. IAC, turn left or right, you have to walk the tracks.

Also walk the tracks from the Fall River Rd. to the golf course. You'll spot a culvert that empties a stream out of the golf course into the lake.
You might even get a landlock there. No promises, mind.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
214 Posts
Kinsac is either a good lake, or a horrible lake from my experiences. I've caught monster landlocked salmon, and monster pickeral. Half the times I get skunked, other half I have good days. I don't have a boat, but my advice is to not fish from Fall River road, and for lures, just use anything you would use for bass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts