Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi all,

My family and I are finally moving to Ghana, located in West Africa, around October of this year. Just wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience fishing there or in a neighboring nation.

From what I've discovered, there isn't really anyone doing any sort of freshwater sportfishing and only a few sportfishing in the ocean, mostly visitors and the odd foreigner. Lots of people fish for a living of course. The saltwater species caught include: Spanish mackerel, Bonito, Wahoo, Dorado, Yellowfin tuna, Big Eye tuna, Marlin, Grouper, etc. I plan on fishing primarily from shore in brackish water conditions and hopefully a bit of surf fishing. I'm currently looking for a surf rod that can break down and fit into a suitcase. I know Shimano UK sells them but haven't seen any around here or in Canada. I've also connected with a guy who lives there who occassionally fishes 15-30 miles offshore so that may materialize as well. It would be awesome to hook into a Marlin or a big tuna. Check out a Youtube video of Marco fishing (he's the Portuguese guy) with local net fishermen on a traditional canoe. This guy has a huge "set" for going 25 miles out on a canoe with strangers and no rescue gear, etc.

Anyhow, my offshore fishing experience is quite limited so I'd like to throw a request out here for recommendations on gear and tackle. At present I'll be carrying three spinning rods (Shimano Exage types), a fly rod (still have to learn how to use the thing LOL) and a number of reels. I'd love to take a Medium/Heavy or Heavy action rod and pair it up with the Penn 850smm reel I have. Also wondering if I should pick up a conventional reel as they seem to be the norm for offshore. So again, suggestions on tackle, braid strength, etc. would be welcome. I'll definitely post photos from Ghana after I've hit the water and hooked into a few things.

Thanks,

J

PS: I'm also hoping to take around 3-4 spinning rod/reel combos for locals. I'll need fishing partners.
Plus introducing a few people, who can't afford it, into our lovely sport is always a bonus. Can't buy gear there so any recommendations for medium action stuff at affordable prices would also be recommended. Donations welcome too. I'd post photos of the people who would receive the donations. Dave, it would be great to produce NSF bumper stickers or patches. I'd definitely buy a few and give them out when I hand out the fishing gear.

·
Banned
613 Posts
I have over 30+ years of offshore fishing experience from when I lived in Southern California. The offshore fishing were you are going will be very similar, and should be very good catching wise.

I would recomend conventional tackle, over spinning gear, but that is just MY personal preference! You will need tackle in the 12 to 80lb range if you get to fish offshore, but if you are restricted to fishing on land, 12 - 30lb tackle may suffice depending on the fishing available to you.

I would take a variety of casting jigs in variety of colors for fishing from the beach. If you will get the chance to fish from a boat, take some of the Rapala countdown lures for trolling, CD-14s and CD-18s are a good choice, as well as the same casting lures in a variety of sizes and colors.

Here is a pic of some of the many choices you have when it comes to lures for fishing offshore for the species you mentioned;

Here are 2 pics of a small Yellowfin Tuna & a Dorado taken on a live sardine for bait near the USA and Mexico border about 20 years ago. You should also take some live bait hooks, and some Sabiki rigs for catching live bait if and when available.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Nice fish. I'll try and get a conventional reel but what are your thoughts on using the Penn 850ssm as well? If I get two rods I'd like to be able to use the Penn too. I'll send you an email later.

I took a photo of some of the lures I could use in saltwater. I'll list the names after I've gone through them. Some of them are probably better for Striped Bass but whatever. Feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On right from top to bottom:

Smithwick Floating Super Rogue 5" (0-4' depth)
Mann's Jerkbait 4 1/2" (suspending)
Rapala Minnow Rap (MR-9) Deep Runner BCF 3 1/2" (5-11' depth)
Rapala Saltwater X-Rap (SXR-10) PGH 4" (4-6' depth)
Rapala Saltwater X-Rap (SXR-10) HS 4" (4-6' depth)
Rapala Longcasting (LC-12) MB 4 3/4" (1-4' depth)
Bluefox diving
Rebel T10 Jumpin' Minnow 3 1/2" (surface)
Cotton Cordell Surface 4 1/2"
Diamong Jig with Tube Tail Hook A007 (1oz)

On the left from top to bottom:

Acme Kastmaster 1/2 oz
Rapala Saltwater Rattlin' Rap (SRNR-8) MU 3 1/8" (sinking)
Rapala Tail Dancer Wide Tail Action (TD-5) Shad 2" (6-9' depth)
Dragonfly Lure Jig (3oz approx)
Dragonfly Lure Jig (1oz approx)
Diving Rattling Lure (forget name)

·
Banned
613 Posts
All of those lures will work great. I am sure there will be lots of fish to catch from shore on the smaller lures and lighter tackle.

I am not familiar with the model PENN reel you mentioned? But that being said, I probably own 25 or more PENN conventional reels, some are as much as 50+ years old, and still work GREAT!!!! So IMO, you can't go wrong with PENN REELS!!!!!

BTW, the bronze hooks on the few lures in the pic will not last more than one trip in the saltwater before they rust, so you will have to change them either before, or after you use them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the reel, just waiting for it to land in NS. Already thinking of getting another... lol It's the rod that's bothering me man. Where to get one...

·
Banned
613 Posts
Hey Jay,
here is a pic of some of the varieties & colors of lures we used on the West coast for a wide variety of fish.

I will post more pics when I get time..................

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks. Here's a photo of some of the stuff Marco was using on the canoe. The tackle you posted looks quite strong/sturdy. Is that a tuna lure in front of his black tackle box? How are they for fishing?

·
Banned
613 Posts
Hey Jay,
you can't beat those style lures that Marco has for trolling. His tackle box is not quite as arganized as I like to be,
but if it works for him....................LOL

And yes, the lure in front of the box is a small tuna trolling jig.

The lures in the pic I posted are mainly for casting and slow retrieval, but can be trolled at slow speeds also.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Any tips on where to pick up some of those casting lures you have would be appreciated. What size and weight are those lures you posted? I'm guessing 4-5" and 3-4oz...

J

·
Banned
613 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Any tips on where to pick up some of those casting lures you have would be appreciated. What size and weight are those lures you posted? I'm guessing 4-5" and 3-4oz...

J
Most of those lures are in the 5-6" range, and are what we called light surface iron. The light lures have much better swimming action, and were designed to be used near the upper levels of the water from the surface down to about 25ft.

LOL..............I can guarentee that you will not find any of those type of lures here in NS!!! Most likely, you will have to shop Ebay, or some other online dealers to find them!

·
Banned
613 Posts
OK, here are a few pictures of the saltwater lure arsenal that I own, and was using on the West coast for a wide variety of fish species:

This first pic is of my main tackle box, with the tray that has hooks & swivels, and the side jig storage.

This second pic is with the hook tray removed showing more jig storage.

This pic is of a box I have for general usage, with a variety of lures.

This pic is of a variety of Tuna trolling feathers.

This pic is of a variety of chrome jigs used mainly for Tuna.

This next pic is of the BIG GUNS, for larger Tuna, Wahoo, and Mako Sharks.

This pic is of a box of Rapala CD18s & CD22s, and some larger Tuna trolling feathers.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you hear rumbling or rustling in the night don't shoot. Just me breaking in to "borrow" your sweet looking tackle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts