Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been pondering getting a kayak, for the past couple summers and have finally deciding on getting serious and buying one this spring. I have been doing some research, on google, youtube, here etc. I have been in a kayak a couple times, but never fished out of one, but have seen people do so, and know that it is what I want to get into but i have a couple Q's that i hope i can get some advice on.

I am 5'11" and about 195, what length should i be looking for, 10-12 ?
I only have about a 600 buck budget, so i am looking used as well as new, i see Can. Tire has a 10 foot one they sell for 499, any one have good luck with that?
anybody else have any tips for someone looking to get addicted to kayak fishing ?
Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't go under a 12 footer ... but i have seen many fish outta the cdn tire 10 footers....most end up buying something bigger and better soon after.

·
Registered
749 Posts
my 1st year in a kayak was out of a Pelican pursuit angler from canadian tire. while it was ok for lakes, i wouldnt recomend it for ocean use. its a short wide kayak so dont expect to be super fast in it. the hatch is not water tight, and if youre taller, you may find it a bit cramped.
It didnt feel tippy by no means, and overall i was satisfied with it. i sold mine and upgraged due to me wanting to fish from a kayak full time instead of just using it to get outdoors.
one thing i will say it was very easy to transport.. it was light and easy to carry by one person.
on hot days i found the plastic to get sorta soft. when it was on a kayak roof rack you could see where it was starting to to dent...but it went back to its normal form once off the rack... never affected its performance by any means of the imagination.

im 5`2 and i found it comfortable, but i could see how a bigger person would find it a bit tight with gear.

check out my post on here about how i rigged it up.

if you are in hrm, you may want to check out the adventure outfitters on Salter street, they have some sit on tops on sale. or even Kijiji.
here are some after some searching

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-canoes-kayaks-paddle-Kayak-W0QQAdIdZ261796189

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-canoes-kayaks-paddle-Aqua-Fusion-Kayak-W0QQAdIdZ264358945

·
Registered
842 Posts
I also started with a pelican 10'.. the basic model from Can tire.. great little boat to learn on but you will out grow this one quickly,, paddles hard compared to others..I picked up a 13' Pulaski on Kijiji,, works alot better,, not a true fishing boat but I also wanted to keep up with friends when just out paddling.. don't worry about adding stuff to the boat as it is easily done..I canoed all my life but the Kayak is a lot better and much easier to paddle and carry by myself,, be sure to get a kayak PFD alot more comfortable than a regular one.. I know there a lot of Yak fishers on here than can help you.. I usually fish a little from the Yak as I can only sit confined for a short time,,Old age,,LOL..I then shore fish for a while.I find fly fishing is great fun from the Yak,, As Ourid pointed out there are good buys on Kijiji.. that 12' there looks like a good deal..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts