Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has tips on how to catch and find white and yellow perch thru the ice.... including time of day depth, structure anything.

It is our mission to catch both yellows and whites this year thru the ice but haven't had much success as yet.

Did get one big white today right away but that was the only bit.... will post a pic later when my photobucket starts working again.

·
457 Posts
for yellows try fishing the deepest water on the lake just of bottom a couple inch too a couple feet
if they are not there work you way on any nearby shelfs with even bottoms
for bait i used small ice jigs tiped with crawler or glup alive 1in grubs
i didnt find any time of day was better then the other caught them at sun up and dark
and just about every time in between

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm after perch this year too, what I've researched on whites is that they stay very active under the ice and you need to move around to stay on them, that's one reason I picked up a gas auger, next on my list is a flasher. If I figure out a system I'll let you know

Greg

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
You probably could use maggots, I tried the gulp ones and they work pretty well for perch. I'm not sure where you would get live maggots at though. I have saw the dead ones at wal-mart and places. When I lived in Ontario you would just go to the bait shop and get minnows, worms, maggots etc. but I don't know of any stores around here that sell bait.

I have never caught a white perch through the ice, but have caught quite a few yellows and jumbo yellows through the ice. My favorite baits for yellows are small jigs tipped with tiny minnows or small soft plastics. also tiny jigging raps, or spoons work well too.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
nice ic yaker that is a perch and a half I would well imagine it gave up a fight we found a little hole this spring loaded with little guys and they felt like 4lbs so I can only imagine the fun you had with that guy. good on ya did you get that in sprinfeild or lake goerge?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sheinar... what did ya use for that yellow.... depth structure... just about every lake we ice fish has atleast yellows in it but we have never hooked one as yet.

·
457 Posts
i fluked into a couple today more or less
not much for good ice around yet so i couldnt get to the spot i would of like to try
but the few i got cam out of 11ft of water which was the deepest i could fish today
i was fishing over a even bottom with no real structure just a gentle slope to shore
i was using a chartreuse micro jig tipped with shrimp

1 - 14 of 14 Posts