Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your favourite patterns this year, myself A wooly bugger tyed with a green body and black hackle/tail, alley shrimp tyed on a #10 hook, and the good old muddler minnow are the trout catchers for me, lots of 15'' pluss sea trout on these flys this year, really hard to believe but the sea trout are running pretty good in antigonish even with the low water!

·
Registered
76 Posts
i personally like the hares ear nymph with or with out a gold bead, I also like a basic black wet fly with a gold rib, somtimes when i tie a nymph with a wing casing, i alter it to make it look semi emerged, it catches fish weather or not the alteration helps or not.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had a lot of luck this spring with large (6) olive woolly buggers with a brass cone-head. Been fishing these for bass and pickerel and it has provoked consistent strikes from fair sized fish.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Some great flies there. That one looks a bit "Stimulator"ish. Is the second one an EHC?

Alex

·
Registered
57 Posts
The first is a Dark Montreal streamer.

The second is a Sedge Hog.

And the third is a Black Quill Klink.

I'll edit the post and add the names.
LOL.. Dark Montreal Streamer eh?! Nice... I like it!

Alex

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah it's a bit of a stretch on the name but it started as a hairwing wet about twenty years ago and just mutated from there
LOL.. I thought it looked a lot like a hairwing. Squirrel? LOL... I made some hairwings in honour of the final four of the Stanley Cup Playoffs this year.

Alex

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just found a new favorite. A Facebook group I'm in has a monthly challenge to tie a specific pattern, either the original pattern or a variation. This month it's the Dahlberg Diver. I tied this one for the challenge then decided to get it wet today. Third cast with it and it got hammered. . . and I mean hammered, by a Largemouth Bass in the 8 pound range. The fish eventually spit the fly out, and they're OOS up here at the moment anyway, but WOW.

Pardon the photo. My camera battery died and won't take a charge, so I had to use my cell phone.

The fly floats but dives and swims just like a Rapala lure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts