Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fisher People,

Last year I used exclusively mackerel to catch stripers. I am out of last years supply and have not been able to refill yet. I have been using squid from the grocery store and have noticed many fisher people doing the same thing. I also picked up a soft plastic eel lure from Fishing Fever just to see what happens. I also see that there are artificial hard bodied lures that are supposed to catch Striped Bass, but I am unaware of anyone that uses them or stands by them under certain conditions.

My question is this. What are your preferred baits or lures? And in what circumstances? Eels in rivers? Mackerel off rocky beaches? Squid off sandy areas? Plastic baits only on Friday the 13th when there is a full moon at middle tide? Scrambled eggs but only when the tide is high at 5 am and you have been sipping brandy laced coffee for 2 1/2 hours?

Just curious, happy fishing,

James

·
Registered
49 Posts
In most areas of N.B.-N.S., we are fishing in low visibility- muddy water conditions.Scent is everything.Of course the fresher the bait the better, though most bass anglers will have to resort to frozen bait.The size of your bait also plays an important role ,as bigger= more scent.The average N.S.-N.B. surf angler will be using two baits and a sinker for his/her rig.The two bait deal on one line doesn't double your chances for fish as many will tell you, but it is a big help for more scent.Your much better off with a single larger bait, with a large circle hook on a sinkerslide rig.You'll have more control when casting, and a higher hook-up rate with this system.The use of chum bags is seldom seen.If you don't think it will work, don't use it, but it has a lot of drawing power.The baitfish will be all over it.What could be better than a swarm of baitfish in the area your fishing when a school of Bass arrives?As far as bait goes, some will swear on certain baits.There was a time when I would use nothing but clams, because I had all my success with them.it's best to use a mix of different baits.All the baits mentioned above will take Bass.I'll usually fish two rods with two different baits.As far as "matching the hatch" goes, it can be very productive to use what the Bass are filling their bellies with, which is usually Tomcod, which is a bait that is seldom used.Do yourself a favour and bring a "bait" rod with you and catch some Tommies, and fish them live and see what happens.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have used prons/shrimp for stripers,they seem to work well, I dont have a whole lot of experience fishing them but I did manage to catch and release one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Fisher People,

Last year I used exclusively mackerel to catch stripers. I am out of last years supply and have not been able to refill yet. I have been using squid from the grocery store and have noticed many fisher people doing the same thing. I also picked up a soft plastic eel lure from Fishing Fever just to see what happens. I also see that there are artificial hard bodied lures that are supposed to catch Striped Bass, but I am unaware of anyone that uses them or stands by them under certain conditions.

My question is this. What are your preferred baits or lures? And in what circumstances? Eels in rivers? Mackerel off rocky beaches? Squid off sandy areas? Plastic baits only on Friday the 13th when there is a full moon at middle tide? Scrambled eggs but only when the tide is high at 5 am and you have been sipping brandy laced coffee for 2 1/2 hours?

Just curious, happy fishing,

James
5 oz lead weight rigged to slide or fixed at the end, with two 6/0 circle hooks baited with mackerel or herring. I've had luck with fresh clams too, but I'd rather keep them for the pot!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The use of live tommy cod on a slider rig sounds like it may be very interesting. I have used tommy cod fillets with success when my supply of mackerel was low or old and soft. Where do you place the hook in the tommy when fishing this method?

·
Registered
51 Posts
In most areas of N.B.-N.S., we are fishing in low visibility- muddy water conditions.Scent is everything.Of course the fresher the bait the better, though most bass anglers will have to resort to frozen bait.The size of your bait also plays an important role ,as bigger= more scent.The average N.S.-N.B. surf angler will be using two baits and a sinker for his/her rig.The two bait deal on one line doesn't double your chances for fish as many will tell you, but it is a big help for more scent.Your much better off with a single larger bait, with a large circle hook on a sinkerslide rig.You'll have more control when casting, and a higher hook-up rate with this system.The use of chum bags is seldom seen.If you don't think it will work, don't use it, but it has a lot of drawing power.The baitfish will be all over it.What could be better than a swarm of baitfish in the area your fishing when a school of Bass arrives?As far as bait goes, some will swear on certain baits.There was a time when I would use nothing but clams, because I had all my success with them.it's best to use a mix of different baits.All the baits mentioned above will take Bass.I'll usually fish two rods with two different baits.As far as "matching the hatch" goes, it can be very productive to use what the Bass are filling their bellies with, which is usually Tomcod, which is a bait that is seldom used.Do yourself a favour and bring a "bait" rod with you and catch some Tommies, and fish them live and see what happens.
Interesting about the chumbags...what do you use and how do you use them....do you attach them to your leader...anither rod....the live tomcod is good idea...how are they hooked...through the back or mouth...any weight used...I would think its like a texas rig...similar to what I use for Smallmouth....right??

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mackeral is my bait of choice and I've had pretty good success with it. I've been planning on trying squid and prawn for some time...just never got around to it yet. I've tried fresh clam with no success but I only tried it once and it was a little early in the season anyway. I like the idea of a chum bag and am hoping to try it on my next trip.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The use of live tommy cod on a slider rig sounds like it may be very interesting. I have used tommy cod fillets with success when my supply of mackerel was low or old and soft. Where do you place the hook in the tommy when fishing this method?I'll usually hook them through the lips, and use them on a three way swivel, they also work well on a sinker slide, so they can get out a little from the weight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting about the chumbags...what do you use and how do you use them....do you attach them to your leader...anither rod....the live tomcod is good idea...how are they hooked...through the back or mouth...any weight used...I would think its like a texas rig...similar to what I use for Smallmouth....right??fishing with tommies explained above.chum bags are simple, an old onion bag filled with fish scraps guts etc.tie it to a rope and throw it out in the area your fishing.You can also put your scraps in a paper bag, cast it out with your rod, let it sit on the bottom a minute, then give a good pull to release it from the line and opening the bag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts