Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying trout fishing lately and haven't been having any luck hooking one, still just gettin smallmouth. I was wondering what some other people are using to catch trout around HRM?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Where have you been fishing?? It may be that there are very few, if any trout at all in those waters. Regards...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ive been using the good ole fashion live night crawler - also the blobs of powerbait works ok - aleast thats what ive been having luck with
same here, although i havent had any luck other then the notorious bait stealers (perch).
as of right now, i dont have a boat so im dragging from the shore. the verdict seems to be out on power bait so im holding off on using this as bait(same with corn).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Gulp Minnows 2.5 inch (watermellon pearl color),I find to be the best all around trout bait for speckles at least here in Lunenburg County. I have converted several die hard worm and minnow fisherman who now exclusively use gulp. Just rig it on a 1/8 OZ jig head start casting and retreiving with a little rod action once in a while. If you get around brookies they can't stand it. All you need is package of jig heads and a bag of gulp and throw them in your pocket. Each minnow should be good for three or four fish before it gets too beat up. Also great for smallmouth, perch, chub, browns,rainbows mackeral, just about anything that swims. And I am not the gulp representative for Atlantic Canada, just found something that consistently works for me and my buds. Good Luck.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where have you been fishing?? It may be that there are very few, if any trout at all in those waters. Regards...
I've been fishing stocked lakes, penhorn mostly. I think i might give the power bait grubs a try, seeing as i already have some, as for the dough stuff i've had no luck, and worms just seem to get stolen more then anything. I was also wondering if there are any rivers good for fishing trout around hrm?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've always found a red devil to be best. Last couple years I've had real good luck on trout using super dupers. Also panther martin and black fury are killers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gulp Minnows 2.5 inch (watermellon pearl color),I find to be the best all around trout bait for speckles at least here in Lunenburg County. I have converted several die hard worm and minnow fisherman who now exclusively use gulp. Just rig it on a 1/8 OZ jig head start casting and retreiving with a little rod action once in a while. If you get around brookies they can't stand it. All you need is package of jig heads and a bag of gulp and throw them in your pocket. Each minnow should be good for three or four fish before it gets too beat up. Also great for smallmouth, perch, chub, browns,rainbows mackeral, just about anything that swims. And I am not the gulp representative for Atlantic Canada, just found something that consistently works for me and my buds. Good Luck.
lol ya I was starting to wonder if u were the rep, I do a lot of sea run brown fishing,usually with raps. I never tried the gulp minnow but I might be sold.

·
Registered
575 Posts
i agree billy ,u ever try those gulp minnows?
Only once and I'm sure there was probably just no fish in the lake. An old friend of mine is a real BS'er, and said he knew a great spot for trout. So we went and used them and never had a bite.

I've heard great things though about the minnows.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't think I ever caught anything on a williams, what color and size are you using?. Dupers are okay, lucky strike victory spinner is an old standby but the last few years most of my trout have been caught on rapalas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find a watermelon spinner lure with a roostertail works great. I just picked up another one today in a package deal from wal-mart I lost my last one to a low lying tree branch across a 60 foot wide river :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mepps with dressed hooks, I find the thunderbug series to be deadly. As well the #1 aglia with dressed hook, early in the season I couldn't keep the trout off till the hook broke now I have to find someone to ty a new one for me. I caught my biggest (only 14.") on a worden rooster tail again dressed hook. That being said will still fall back to the faithful worm on various spinners. But now I have try the gulp minnow.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My favorite lure(s) is something I never see anyone use. Mepps syclops (Orange) for saltwater and for freshwater I use a smaller blue/silver syclops, I couldn`t live without them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My go to lure is the Blue Fox minnow spin (silver and black). I have caught
trout, perch, pickerel, smallmouth bass. silver perch and stripers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts