Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is everybody's fav rapala for spring trout, I am determined to get a brown out of the cornwallis this spring but list speckle lures too. I know we did fave trout lure and gear but looking for raps specifically
thanks GF

·
Registered
245 Posts
well I don't do much fishing where there are actually TROUT big enough to go after my Rapalas. But that said I have caught a couple on them. Caught a 10" or so brookie in Shortts Lake while pickerel fishing. That was on a original floating 3cm I think. Probly in perch color, that's what I use a lot there.

The other, can't remember how many, was out in the little stream behind my house in the woods. The brookies there get so voracious for anything resembling food it is comical to see what I can actually catch them on. So I took the spinner off and tied on a Rapala. Same style, original floater 3cm, but could have been any pattern, I have so many now. Caught a couple that amazed me they could actually bite a lure so big compared to them:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never go out on the water without a Hot Steel Rap!! Bought 2 dozen the other day at Bass Pro Shop only 4 bucks each!

·
Registered
546 Posts
GF,

I am trying out the original float rap in the rainbow pattern this spring. Trout are amazing carnivores and are quite happy to be cannibals. Big fish eat smaller fish whether related or not. Come out with me and lets see what happens.

James

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GF,

I am trying out the original float rap in the rainbow pattern this spring. Trout are amazing carnivores and are quite happy to be cannibals. Big fish eat smaller fish whether related or not. Come out with me and lets see what happens.

James
definately

·
Registered
806 Posts
i've only ever caught them incidentally. but i use to have a ''mystic minnow''made by excalibur. i had a perch pattern one , and i still have the clown. they're a suspending bait , and i caught a lot of trout on them. the last one i caught was a 10 inch speck on a 5.5 inch suspending plug!when i brought it in the plug was about 3 inches down it's throat!it was hooked badly so i brought it home , cleaned it up , to find a plastic worm in it's stomach that was quite old and probably about 7 inches long!that particular fish had quite an appetite. so to put a long story shorter.lol.a suspending plug , xrap , or husky jerk!

·
Registered
250 Posts
F11 original, X-Rap, Shallow shad raps, Countdowns, and the always successful minnow rap!

All sizes, but I tend to stay with the larger ones, nothing under 3".

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey all,

I have had some success with countdowns and floating minnows but most of my fish have come on size 5 husky jerks. The big one from my profile pic took a silver and black husky jerk.

The fish is going to be on the canadian sportfishing show on april 16th if anyone is interested in checking it out (should be just before the 1st commercial).

Cheers,

Chris

·
Banned
767 Posts
i've only ever caught them incidentally. but i use to have a ''mystic minnow''made by excalibur. i had a perch pattern one , and i still have the clown. they're a suspending bait , and i caught a lot of trout on them. the last one i caught was a 10 inch speck on a 5.5 inch suspending plug!when i brought it in the plug was about 3 inches down it's throat!it was hooked badly so i brought it home , cleaned it up , to find a plastic worm in it's stomach that was quite old and probably about 7 inches long!that particular fish had quite an appetite. so to put a long story shorter.lol.a suspending plug , xrap , or husky jerk!
Another good reason to ban large, non-biodegradable plastic baits. Fish with a bellyful of plastic can't digest much real food, and so slowly starve to death. There are bio-degradable artificials out there--let's stick to them, at least in the larger sizes.

cheers,

chuck

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey all,

I have had some success with countdowns and floating minnows but most of my fish have come on size 5 husky jerks. The big one from my profile pic took a silver and black husky jerk.

The fish is going to be on the canadian sportfishing show on april 16th if anyone is interested in checking it out (should be just before the 1st commercial).

Cheers,

Chris
cool good see they are in there now I just gotta find em

1 - 20 of 30 Posts