Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just woundering what everyones favorite gear was. i guess ill start off by sharing mine,

reel: abu garcia blackmax
rod: no favorites yet
lure: to many but if i had to pick it would be an x-rap or husky jerk
line: -mono: berkley triline (not spelled right lol)
-florocarbon: berkley vanish
-braid: power pro
soft plastic: berkley powerbait, berkley gulp

so theres just a few of my favorites, looking forward to reading what you guys have to say!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh, and you dont have to name favorites for just the things i listed, if you have a favorite hook, sinker, ect.. then by all means, share it

·
Registered
228 Posts
Reels: Shimano Curado for lures, Shimano Stradic when using a float, Shimano Baitrunner for beach casting
Rods: St. Croix Premier for heavier lures, Shimano Compre for lighter lures & floats, Byron for beach casting
Hardbait: Rapala original
Line: PowerPro for mainline, Seaguar for fluoro leader, no mono for me
Soft plastic: Yamamoto senkos
Hooks: Gamakatsu

I think I've done my part to ensure the financial viability of Shimano.

·
Registered
245 Posts
shimano sienna reels
shimano fx rods/cherrywood ultra lite
spider wire
williams spinners /storm minnow sticks
mustard hooks
jw&young fly rods and reels
these are a few of my favorite things

·
Registered
806 Posts
shimano sienna reels
shimano fx rods/cherrywood ultra lite
spider wire
williams spinners /storm minnow sticks
mustard hooks
jw&young fly rods and reels
these are a few of my favorite things
if you sing it , it sounds like a christmas carol.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Rods: Falcon USA Rods
Reels: Abu Garcia though gonna try the new falcons this year
Hard Baits: Rapala Jointed
Wire Baits: Secret Weapon Spinnerbaits
Topwater: Spro Chug Minnow
Soft Plastics: Case and Slimers
Ultra Light Fishing: Gulp Alive and small raps
Ice Fising: Jiggin Raps< Shiver Minnows, and Chubby Darters
line: power pro and seagar invis x

·
Registered
125 Posts
An alder switch, a length of string. a #4 hook, pocketful of worms, and a lazy meandering stream with lots of undercuts and deep pools...At least this was my favourite gear when I was just a kid...Nowadays I lug more tackle than Walmart stocks their shelves with...lol...Anything that catches the fish on that particular day, that's my favourite gear!!!...

·
Registered
288 Posts
An alder switch, a length of string. a #4 hook, pocketful of worms, and a lazy meandering stream with lots of undercuts and deep pools...At least this was my favourite gear when I was just a kid...Nowadays I lug more tackle than Walmart stocks their shelves with...lol...Anything that catches the fish on that particular day, that's my favourite gear!!!...
I'm with Nontypical...I don't focus too much on rod, reel or line. As long as I can cast it where I want and reel it in...I'm good, of course the size of line is always geared towards the fish I'm hunting....Now when it comes to lures...I have had my most success with a minnow rap.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Nowadays I lug more tackle than Walmart stocks their shelves with...lol.
Yes, but in our collective defence, tackle to us is what shoes are to women: we can never have enough!

Well, at least that's the agreement I've reached with my wife. I don't question her collection of shoes, she doesn't question my collection of tackle, and we are both happily married.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, but in our collective defence, tackle to us is what shoes are to women: we can never have enough!

Well, at least that's the agreement I've reached with my wife. I don't question her collection of shoes, she doesn't question my collection of tackle, and we are both happily married.
me and my mother had that conversation once lol. i added up my recets from the past fishing season and got a sum of about 950 some dollars, well, she fliped out but then i added up her shoe recets for a month and got about 800. we had a good laugh lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the fly, my go-to setup is my 5wt Orvis Clearwater II rod and Lamson Konic reel loaded with WF Cortland 444. Not my fanciest combo, but definitely my favourite. Preferably with a #14 Adams dry fly at the end of the tippet.

In terms of spinnng gear, my favourite rig is a cheapie Shimano Sojourn rod with a workhorse Michell 300-series reel loaded with Trilene XT. More often than not I've got a Rapala original floating minnow tied on.

As I told the woman trying to sell me the expensive polarized glasses at Sunglass Hut last night, after losing enough gear at the bottom of lakes, I tend not to go for the pricey stuff.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
On the fly, my go-to setup is my 5wt Orvis Clearwater II rod and Lamson Konic reel loaded with WF Cortland 444. Not my fanciest combo, but definitely my favourite. Preferably with a #14 Adams dry fly at the end of the tippet.

In terms of spinnng gear, my favourite rig is a cheapie Shimano Sojourn rod with a workhorse Michell 300-series reel loaded with Trilene XT. More often than not I've got a Rapala original floating minnow tied on.

As I told the woman trying to sell me the expensive polarized glasses at Sunglass Hut last night, after losing enough gear at the bottom of lakes, I tend not to go for the pricey stuff.
you probably don't want your polarized glasses then, cuase then you'll be able too see all you've lost.....but then agn you may feel better when you realize you can see everyones elses sacrifices to the fish gods as well and that you are not alone lol

·
457 Posts
ill have to get back to ya all later
im in the process of relearning what i thought i know about fishing
and re evaluating the gear i use and how i use it

but i will list these for spinning gear
old berkly 6,6 fiberglass rod paired with my old mitchell 300
not the best or most expensive gear but i really enjoy using it
and it has never let me down yet

·
Registered
879 Posts
Spinning and baitcasting Shimano, I have others but these are my go to and they're far from new, lures, I belong to the lure of the week club, yet always end up with an original floating rapala or rebel pop-r, soft plastics, tried most but like flukes. Now to my new passion, fly gear, not a lot of experience to make comparisons but I'm happy with my Sage and also enjoy a cheap Martin rod with an Emery reel, as for flies my most success comes from woolybuggers.

Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rod - trying a m/l 7' berkly lightning rod "shock"
reel - shimano spirex 4000
Line - 4-6lb fireline

i can cast for days on that setup , and i've gotten very comfortable with a 7' rod in tiny brooks and can drop a panther martin just about anywheres.

·
Registered
806 Posts
well i'm a discount bin junkie[i find it a challenge to make something work].i break about 4-6 rods a year , so i try not to get attached to them!reels -i find that the cheap bait casters hold up quality wise better than the expensive ones!i wear the level winders out on expensive ones almost every year. where i still have the original ''alpha'' reel i bought so many years ago.spinning rods , i still love the old ''trigger'' ,or ''quick fire'' reels.hard baits-either the husky jerk or the x-rap deep depending upon desired depth.--soft baits -i'm old fashioned, i like the old 4'' worm, 3-4'' twister tail grub, or tube.---wire baits-blue fox in line spinner in #5[i can't find them here so i have to send out west to get them]---flies-muddler, adams.--hooks-gamakatsu wide gaps5/0--topwater-buzzbait. BUT MY FAVORITE BAIT OVER ALL-----------BUCKTAIL JIG-------------, by far!!!!sometimes tipped with a pork trailer!

·
Registered
523 Posts
For Spin fishing:
Penn Spinfisher reel (mine's a 450ss) on an Ugly Stick ultra light. I use this and mostly Rebel poppers to play with everything from pickerel up here to snook in Florida.
For fly fishing:
Orvis rods - my favourite for trout is a 5 wgt tip flex Helios with a Mirage reel; for salmon and salt it's a 7 wgt tip flex Helios with a Large Arbor reel (Mirage again)
The only fly line I use now is Orvis wonderline, same with tippett - Orvis.

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts