Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone hear any news on the the hatchery Rainbow that escape their pens down Queens county way? Are there any regualtions for them on the rivers they may be into? Have any been caught?

·
Registered
195 Posts
There should be some kind of regulation on farmed fish and some heavy fines when these fish "escape" more than once.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The large escape (500,000 fish) that occurred 3 years ago resulted in some fantastic fishing along the south shore. I had never landed a rainbow before and by the 15th of April I hooked over 200, mostly on the fly. At that time anglers were encouraged to catch and kill these escapees. I have to say it made for some of the most memorable fishing I can remember and it remained good from April 1 to mid June. The next spring a few were reported caught but now have disappeared (from the LaHave at least). I did not hear of any being caught with the last escape this past spring but that was only supposed to be 2500 fish. Maybe they stayed closer to home this time? That's all I know.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Trutta who encouraged to catch and kill the bows we need the same guy hollering abt the pickerrel in the lahave etc

·
Registered
423 Posts
Girlfisher,

DFO , DNR and salmon angling groups were encouraging catch and kill. They were afraid the rainbows would colonize the rivers as they did in some Cape Breton and mainland rivers. Once it is proven that there are pickerel in the Lahave maybe someone will holler.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Girlfisher,

DFO , DNR and salmon angling groups were encouraging catch and kill. They were afraid the rainbows would colonize the rivers as they did in some Cape Breton and mainland rivers. Once it is proven that there are pickerel in the Lahave maybe someone will holler.
Hi Trutta
What more proof do you need about pickerel in the Lahave?
DFO certainly don't - I gave them a bag full.
Have a nice day
Paul

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mushamush,

I hadn't heard that you found some. Do you mind sharing where? I would like to catch and see for one for myself. Not that I don't trust you Paul, but I have never caught one. Of course I may be a detriment to their survival,so if for conservation purposes you do not want to share I fully understand.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Mushamush,

I hadn't heard that you found some. Do you mind sharing where? I would like to catch and see for one for myself. Not that I don't trust you Paul, but I have never caught one. Of course I may be a detriment to their survival,so if for conservation purposes you do not want to share I fully understand.
Hi Trutta
Since you seem to doubt my word and
I'm not sure I can describe how to get there anyway but
if you want to go and see for yourself, let me know the time
and where to meet and we'll go. I'll take the proper equipment so there's
no excuse like I couldn't catch any - so there's none!
Have a nice day
Paul

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mushamush,

I don't doubt you for a minute, I was just inquiring as to general location North Branch, River, lake, etc., as I can probably find them for myself but I would like to go with you as it would save time. I get off work 3:30 pm in Bridgewater, so it would have to be late afternoon evening after I am off work. Is it much of an excursion to find them or easy to get to? In any case I am very interested in seeing one.

David J

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi;

Just so everybody remembers-- there is a big difference between 'catch, kill, take home and eat', as opposed to 'catch, kill, and throw away'. The first is fine if you obey bag limits and other regs. The latter is a violation of sect. 61 of the Wildlife Act, and puts you on the same level as any other "bucket biologist".
Which is pretty much, 'bottom of the barrel', IMHO.

cheers,

chuck

·
Banned
767 Posts
Hi 'trutta';

Feeding them to your pets or your grandma is fine by me. Just don't throw them in the bushes or the water. Killing one animal that you personally 'don't like', just for the sake of killing it, is just as morally reprehensible as 'planting' another animal that you do like just because you, personally, do like it. Some people are unable to grasp the implications of this home truth. I trust that you and bugman are not among them?!?

chuck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts