Nova Scotia Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone uses egg patterns in brooks/rivers around here for trout in the spring or is that just an Ontario/steelhead thing? I've only seen the egg sucking leech pattern for salmon being used around here so just being curious...

·
Registered
173 Posts
tmac4, i use the egg sucking leach all the time.
have had great success with it pretty much any time of year.
use for bass and trout.
only tried orange and red tho.

good luck in the spring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zepp, what size hook you find best for trout? Ive got some tied on #6 streamer hook; orange egg, black leech that ive used for salmon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use #10 3X and #8 3X
and use a beadhead too.
then bounce them down the run.
I'll also add 2-4 strands of crystal flash
to the tail sometimes.dont know if it actualy
helps or not. but it sure doesnt hurt any.LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree zepp, i use #8 3x too, i also use flash but not too much, i find you only need about 4 strands.

Do you hit the brooks as soon as the season opens? Some people tell me brooks are no good early spring and to stick to the lakes, but i prefer brook fishing over lake fishing, fish biting or not, lol.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I agree zepp, i use #8 3x too, i also use flash but not too much, i find you only need about 4 strands.

Do you hit the brooks as soon as the season opens? Some people tell me brooks are no good early spring and to stick to the lakes, but i prefer brook fishing over lake fishing, fish biting or not, lol.
rivers and brooks definately even if you don't get fish it is more tranquil peaceful and relaxing fishing isn't just abt the catching is it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, its not, if it was i would have quit long ago, haha, been skunked many more times than having a good catch. I just wanted people's take on early spring brook fishing, just for some good discussion...

·
Registered
173 Posts
i always hit the lakes in the spring. but only really fish where there is a run coming in.
one year the lake was still frozen over,except where the river runs in.I swear every
fish in the lake was hanging out there,just waiting for my beadhead egg sucking leach.
best opener I've ever had.
Cant wait to find those conditions again.lol

and caper, yes I agree,no more than 4 strands of flash.

OK. HOW LONG TILL OPENING DAY? 60 DAYS?
DOH!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts